Echo Mia versus Delta 1010LT

Dweezil

Running Athlon Duron 1600 with 516 Ram using Cubasesx and Reason. Currently using Soundblaster live and KX drivers. I intend to get a Mackie dfx6 mixer for modest home recording use mainly.Some souncards seem to have built in features and I'm not sure what I need if I'm using the Mackie?
As a man on a budget, will the Echo Mia picked up off Ebay for the price of a few 6packs cut the mustard, or should I sell my mother-in-law to a spoon bending blood cult in Texas and get a Delta, or whatever man?!! I'll be using a shure sm57 mike, Tokai vintage strat, Alvarez acoustic plus a rugged, lived in voice to generate some unique sounds, hopefully!
Any help/advice much appreciated; I generally know very little,er, unfortunately!
Cheers,
Dweezil

The delta cards are great and reliable. The 1010 will have 10 inputs if you need that many. If not, perhaps the 66 or 44 will do. You can usually find these on ebay as well. Sometimes new(well below retail)

the Mia and the Delta as far as quality are pretty even.....the Delta has the advantage with the number of inputs/outputs only.....

if you wanna record more than 2 tracks simulaneosly, the Mia wont work 4 u.....

If you only need two inputs, M-Audio's equivalent to the Mia is the Audiophile. It has a very good reputation, and if you are a haggler you can get it for $129 at Guitar Center (they have sold it for that in the past). If you need four inputs the Delta 44 will set you back $229, but you could probably get GC down to $199.

The Echo Mia has better specified and measured sound quality than all of the m-audio cards mentioned so far. Obviously how big the audible improvement is, is dependent on the listener and setup. Also, unlike the 1010lt and audiophile, the mia has balanced analog i/o. Hopefully this helps explain, if you are wondering, why a mia costs more than an audiophile.

Echo, along with RME, has a very good reputation for its drivers. For example, the Echo (and RME) wave/mme drivers bypass the dreaded windows xp kmixer resampling (that reduces sound quality). As far as I am aware, nearly all other soundcard manufacturers do not even acknowledge this issue.

If interested in the kmixer issue, do a search on the hometheater forum at www.avsforums.com or download the pdf with the latest echo drivers. Note it is not an issue with Asio or kernal streaming applications.

In answer to your original question, it depends if you need more than 2 analog and 2 digital inputs. If you do then get the 1010LT otherwise go with the Mia.

Last edited:
Thanks

Many thanks for your worthwhile opinions. I don't think I'm going to be recording more than two tracks at a time, so the Echo Mia looks like it will do very nicely. But then again, if I want to future proof myself?!!! Food for thought.
Excellent replies. Many thanks
Dweezil

Back