Echo layla near zearo latency monitoring?

Tyson

I'm going to ugrade my hardware froma us-122 to a multichannel either PCI or firewire interface. I've been leaning toward the echo layla 3g because of it has all the connections and echo's soundcards are good. I noticed though that it provides near zero latency monitoring while my us-122 provides zero latency monitoring. I'm thinking about going with the firepod now, but it would cost more and I would need to install firewire port in my comuter. If I wont be able to notice the difference in the near zero latency compared to zero latency issue, I'll go with the Echo Layla.

Near zero latency is the proper way to market an interface, as there is going to be a slight amount of latency in anything. Zero latency is pure hype but if the latency is 3ms or less, it will be discernible to most.
You'll do just fine with the Echo.

Zero-latency monitoring was marketing-speak for monitoring right off the input signal, nothing more. No magic at all, they just knew that the word latency = baaaad, so "zero latency" must mean gooooood...

i'm looking to make the same switch as you in the near future:
us-112 to the echo layla 3g

one big advantage will be the added dsp of the layla over the ... well nothing of the us-122. with the echo you will be able to add real time effects to the near-zero latency (like some reverb to the monitored vocals etc...) whereas teh us-122 monitered mix was dry, yuk.

Back