Echo Indigo installtion problem..help please..

gkowal

hey guys i just got myself echo indigo io card and wanted to install it on my laptop(gateway 520s).. so i install the cd as in the manual... then when i insrert the card MY computer just freezez i tried both when my cmputer is runniong and when shut down.. when shut down then the winxp screen doesnt move, just won`t run XP .. WHAT COULD be the problem? Since i have 2 laptops from gateway the same ones I tried on both and the same problem.. could the card be defective? or am i doing something wrong? Why would xp freeze when i insert the ECHO in to my slot??

I have had the same problem and determined that it was a problem with my laptop. You say you have tried it in a different laptop...is it the same make/model?

What the problem with my laptop was that it would not accept PC Card bus devices (32-bit- which is what the Echo io uses) Most PCMCIA (PC Card) devices use regular 16-bit cards (like network adapters,junk like that)

I would suggest finding someone that has a 32-bit PC card and try it in your laptop. If it works..the Echo is dead...if it doesnt....call up gateway.

A few websites that might help clear stuff up.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Handhelds_Wireless/Q_20696569.html

http://www.pcmcia.org/faq.htm

Hope this helps

OH BOY!!!..

and i think that might be the problem... my PCMCIA is Texas Instruments PCI-1510 CardBus Controller , from looking on various websites I cannot understand if it supports 32bit or not, the way they write stuff is too much confusing... Buy i`m guessing it doesn`t because even though my laptop is new DRIVERS for my PCMCIA cardbus are from year 2001 so i`m guessing i got some OLD parts in my beautiful new PURCHASED CHEAP ASS laptop.. I`m pissed now.. would you be able to check for me it my cardbus supports 32bit ones?

See...cardbus SHOULD accept 32-bit cards (the io) thats what cardbus is. the problem i had is that my 2003 Acer did not work with it, but when i tried it in my dad's compaq presario that was made in the year 1998...It worked!

Its just insane that something new wouldnt work in something new...but it worked in something really old.

I would call up gateway and bitch at how you cant use your 32-bit cardbus PCMCIa Card....you might need to ask to talk to a supravisor because those first people you get have scripted responses they give.

Also, according to Texas Instraments...that controller should work.
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/pci1510.html

Good luck.

Everybody blames other companys product.. I called gateway i was told to call ECHO because it must be echo causing problems.. HAHA I love this type of help you get from places you buy computers from.. When you try to buy a computer they kiss your feet and answer all questions, once they close the sale they wash their hands.. ALSO i was told that i need more help with gateway I should call some 1800 number which will charge me some money for each minute i speak to them.. LOL nice!! so I decided to return ECHO and get another one maybe that one was defective.. If no difference THEN I will have to ASK GOD for HELP..hehe

Its just the industry

Ive worked in the IT area for 8 years and the first thing we always do is 1) assume the customer doesn't know anything.
2) assume its not our fault
Its just how computer companies operate.
Get bitchy...demand satisfaction...ask to talk to the highest possible person.

Its shallow and unfair but in the computer industry...the customer is never right.

Back