EBow

Light

I finally got around to getting myself one of these things. I have only played around with it for a few minutes, but damn is it cool. Feedback on my acoustic, woo hoo!

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

They ARE pretty cool gadgets.... you can even get a flute sound from it if you trim the tone pots right down, and play in the upper registers....... use your fingers to "flutter" the sound slightly as you move frets - giving you a warbly flute-like sustain......

EBow is the coolest thing ever!

If you're buying just one piece of guitar-equipment this year, make it an eBow. :D

I am planning on getting one soon, what are the best prices going? I see them going on Ebay for about $90-$120. I can get one here in Canada locally for about $170 CDN (=$120 US), and would love to beat that price.

I bought mine almost 6 years ago and I think it was somewhere around $150. It seems like you should be able to find a used one for pretty cheap. I believe that there are 2 models? The black and the greyish white one. The older black versions only have one type of "sustain" opposed to the greys 2 modes. I may be way off but thats what I my memory is telling me. So find out what model it is if you buy used.

foreverdown said:
How much did you pay for it? I have always wanted to play with one :)

I can't really speak to that, as I got mine through one of my wholesalers. The list price is $126, however.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Yeah, there are 2 models, the Ebow and the Ebow plus. I saw a regular Ebow at Music Go Round for $30 and didn't buy it. I consider this to be the stupidest thing I've ever done. Those things are cool as hell.

On a similar note, anybody tried those Jellifish picks? I picked one up and was only semi-impressed.

Ebows are ok... After the initial 3 day period of "this is the greatest thing ever!!" you will find the Ebow collecting dust for approximately 8 months after which time you'll take it off the shelf, play with it for a couple of minutes and then stick it on the shelf again, for 8 more months.

Scriabin- I think you are wrong about the E-Bow. Many people do only use the bow for a few days and stop. This is probably due to the awkwardness of learning to play with it or their lack of creativity. Like any other effect, if used in context and done the right way it will see alot of use.
If you listen to Gordian Knots "Emergent" album, its loaded with e-bow sounds. Im not talking about just holding 1 or 2 notes and sustaining them either. There are plenty of others as well. Thats just my opinion but I think its a great tool.

The E-bow is an excellent tool for a guitarist who wants to get synthy non guitar tones without spending big bucks.I've got one and admit that I don't use it much,but then again I've got a half dozen soft synths.
I think I paid $79 new for mine.

I loved my ebow. The only down side to it was its small size. Left it on top of an amp head at a gig, and when breakdown time came it had walked away. Very annoying. I had a friend who had one that was chrome-colored (still plastic though) and self-activating. You stuck it over the guitar strings and it turned on automatically. That was very cool. It wasn't the new style with the 2 modes though. I never found the second mode to be all that useful, but I liked it enough to miss it a lot, and someday I'll buy another one.

I have been using mine for my acoustic guitars, so yeah, it works just fine without being plugged in.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back