EBay

Clive Hugh said:
How much commission does ebay charge on a sale? I have a couple of pickups I am thinking of listing.

Depends on how much it sells for and how much you want for it to start. Its all a percentage based thing with the expection of the listing options. Then if the buyer uses PayPal, thats another bit of it.

I sold an amp for $975 BIN on eBay. Cost me $5 I think to list it. Then the total sale price commission they charge cost me $30, and finally PayPal (who eBay owns :mad: ) charged $40. All told it cost me $75 to sell an amp for $975. The shipping is not included in their percentage figuring....thank God.

You will notice some people that charge a lot for shipping....maybe now you see why.

The best idea I have seen so far is to charge a shipping price of how much you want for the item including shipping, then put like $1 as the opening bid.

Outlaws said:
The best idea I have seen so far is to charge a shipping price of how much you want for the item including shipping, then put like $1 as the opening bid.

eBay just announced a program to stop that sort of thing, so try it at your peril! :eek:

They have raised fees considerably over the last couple of years though . . . :(

TravisinFlorida said:
ebay fees suck. they used to be reasonable. fuck ebay. we have our own buy/sell thread. :D
Thanks for the info guys, trouble is I'm in Australia so I figured it wouls be easier to sell here not to mention the risk of an overseas sale.

Just done a quick calculation, on that $975 sale the sale commission was $30 which is 3% and with the paypal fee added in it still only came to 7.6% which is not much if you look at the huge market, a local shop with a limited market will most likely want 10%. I have real eastate companies who charge me 9.5% just to collect rent, they call it a management fee, but at the end of the month they always seem to have something else. So I'll settle for 7.6%.

Agreed

Clive Hugh said:
Just done a quick calculation, on that $975 sale the sale commission was $30 which is 3% and with the paypal fee added in it still only came to 7.6% which is not much if you look at the huge market, a local shop with a limited market will most likely want 10%. I have real eastate companies who charge me 9.5% just to collect rent, they call it a management fee, but at the end of the month they always seem to have something else. So I'll settle for 7.6%.

The fees are steep, but worth every penny of the exposure it provides.

Back