Ebay dilemma

LP2006

I recently bought a Yairi DY50n with a hard case on evilbay for 380 bones plus 25 shipping.

The seller describes the condition of the guitar like this: "This guitar is pre-owned and is in sweet sweet condition the neck is straight and all of the parts are present and accounted for. There are some very light surface lines (not so much scratches) on the front and even fewer on the back. None of the marks are deep or scratch through the wood we have tried to show them in the photographs some are not visible unless the light is right (or wrong) to see them."

I received the guitar in a timely matter, however, the condition is not the same as described. There are scratches and dents that aren't just "surface lines", and are not what I would consider "light". Some of the scratches go through the finish and expose the wood, contrary to his item description.

The guitar sounds great, the neck seems straight, and the action is OK (could come down a little).

I feel like the I got a good price on a well made guitar, but it really sucks when sellers don't accurately describe the item. I've requested a refund, but I don't have very much faith in the whole ebay claims process. It seems very biased towards sellers to me. The seller hasn't left me feedback yet, although I paid within 30 minutes of the auction closing, which I think is crap. I feel like he is holding my feedback hostage, just waiting to retaliate should I give him a negative.

What would you guys do? I was considering just reselling the guitar if he doesn't cooperate. I feel like I could recoup most of my cash. Has anyone had any experience with the ebay claims process? Doesn't seem like its worth the headache, but maybe I'm wrong.

Just ask him to refund a few bucks of the purchase and don't worry about it. It's a giant hassle by the time you ship it back and lose your end of shipping ad return shipping on a $380 Yari, which are great players. And yes, he's holding your feedback as hostage, it's smart whenever dealing with instruments on ebay.

If it plays good and sounds good, then scratches are nothing like cracks. I would be upset that it isn't a pretty guitar but probably still keep it as you will not get anywhere with ebay/paypal unless the guy failed to use delivery confirmation....and even then you only get money if he hasn't withdrawn all his money.

Just give it a few days so you can cool down and you might be happy with the guitar. I realize $300 has a different value to everyone, but in the end, its not a $1-2k guitar where deep scratches actually kill the value by a seizable amount. I doubt the seller will pay return shipping and I bet the scratches are not worth more than that. I think you lose all ways except that you do have a playable guitar from the sound of it.

Last edited:
Yari

You have every reason to feel misled. What was the stated return policy? If he doesn't work with you then give him negative feedback. That's the way the process works. It's about all the leverage you have.

The seller should be willing to refund if you don't believe the description was accurate.

Good luck.

Take photos of the guitar you got and compare to the listing photos. Are they the same guitar? Is there no way you could have seen the blemishes in the photos he posted? Are his photos completely misleading?

If so, then email your photo comparison to ebay and file a dispute.

Make sure you send it back to the same return address that was on it when you received it. Get delivery confirmation. Some will try to claim you never returned it. Use the address that's on his receipt, do not let him tell you to return it to a different address. Correspond with him only thru ebay messages so that ebay has a record of it, including sending the return tracking number to him thru ebay.

They do have the power and the willingness to shut down a seller who misrepresents his items, but you'll have to prove it to them.

yep. take your pictures. did you use paypal? try them, and you might be surprised. paypal seem to favor the buyer if something was misrepresented, and is why i am picky about accepting it as payment--- not that i intentionally misrepresent anything. then again, awhile back i bought a "new" badass video card. when i got it, not only was it used, and not only did it not come with any paperwork or software, it wasnt even in an anti-static bag. the card did work (just fine, actually), but i was still miffed. paypal issued a full refund, and dude didnt want to pay return shipping to get it back. do you see where i am going with this?

a

Just ask him to refund a few bucks of the purchase and don't worry about it. It's a giant hassle by the time you ship it back and lose your end of shipping ad return shipping on a $380 Yari, which are great players. And yes, he's holding your feedback as hostage, it's smart whenever dealing with instruments on ebay.

+1

If the worse condition it's something that your not that concerned about, this is the best way to go. The only reason to file a claim though eBay or PayPal is if the seller isn't cooperating.

Back