Easy to work with DAW?

Wack

Hey guys, Withen the next few days I will be changing my way of tracking or mixing from a tascam portastudio. I was just wondering which DAW you guys thought was the easiest to work with, but still very effective. I've got some experience with audicity, and adobe 1.5 and 3. I've heard great things about reaper though. And I hear it's cheap so that's always a plus. I'm not looking to spend a ton. No pro tools I amaign. Also, how do I know about my sound card? How do I know if I need a better one, how much will a decent one run me. Thanks for the help guys.

I will probably be recording live guitar bass and drums and then throw the vocals over it. Could a little 8 channel behringer mixer run into a 2 input Cubase interface? How would the quality be? Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
You can download Reaper for free to try it before you buy.

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

A decent sound card (one with at least two A/D converters, not just a typical Soundblaster type card) will run about $100. You'll probably get more value for your money from a USB audio interface though.

Sony Acid Pro is the simplest in my opinion....and i have protools, ableton, sonar, cubase, nuendo, studio 1, and audition installed..

If I may offer an alternate suggestion?

With any software there is going to be a learning curve. Some of it will be generic, related to DAW recording in general. But a great deal of it will be directly related to the DAW you choose. And then there are the tweaks and shortcuts and other DAW specific knowledge.

So you learn one DAW, find out that there is something out there that better meets your needs, and you have to start the DAW-specific learning curve all over again. And of course there is the stuff you have to un-learn also.

I started with Pro Tools because I knew I would end up with Pro Tools. I'm only a couple of notches up on the learning curve, but when I do master Pro Tools I'm done, and I will be able to spend my time focusing on making music instead of focusing on recording it.

So may I suggest that you look around and do a lot of research, and choose the product that will best meet your needs over the long haul. It may be a little more difficult and a bit more expensive, but if your interest is really making music, pick the DAW that will best meet your long-term needs, master it, and be done with it.

Just one dude's suggestion...

No matter what DAW you use, you'll be facing a huge battle against several forces that will be acting to thwart your success - if you go the PC route.
After many dollars and years of frustration, one day with a MAC computer using OSX revealed to me that DAW's could actually be used without
crashing, popping, latency, hardware disappearing from system recognition just to name a few of a multitude of agonizing and irritating curses.
I plugged everything into the MAC and it worked like a charm. I regret the wasted years of clinging stubbornly and ignorantly to the us of a PC with digital audio workstations. If you take one piece of advice it is this: Spare yourself! Use a Mac!

Back