Easier Cakewalk Editing with the Scroll Lock Key

James, I think you will be a little disappointed. We're both Sonar-diehard users, right? Well "Sonar 2 power" didn't really learn me any new tricks. It's a great reference to the manual and much easier to read. But I don't think I'll buy "Sonar 3 Power" (unless Garrigus promises some more tricks and tips ;))...

And while I'm at it. Garrigus explain to me why it's so much better to save project who contains wave-files as bundles. They take forever to load and with the Folder-per-Project you have all the waves at the same place for easy burning to CD. Bundles takes forever to load, and gets rid of all the lovely slip-editing information...

Hi Jaymz,

Yep, Sonar 2 Power covers both Sonar 2 and Sonar 2 XL. And there's an entire chapter on DXi soft synths. But the book is mainly for beginning and intermediate users. Advanced users probably won't get as much out of it.

I know the name of the book is a bit misleading, but unfortunately, I have no control on how the book is published. Once the book is written, the publisher takes over and they can pretty much do whatever they want with it. They own it.

Hi Moskus,

Saving as bundles is the safest method, but yes, if you're using per-project audio management, then saving as CWP files is better. I think I mentioned that in the book. Probably the best thing to do is save as CWP so that you can work faster and manage your audio files manually, but also save as CWB at the end of a session, just in case for backup purposes.

Best regards,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge and Sound Forge 6, SONAR and SONAR 2 Power! books; Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free copy of PowerFX's Dyad DXi software synth and learn more cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 14,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

garrigus said:
Hi Moskus,

Saving as bundles is the safest method, but yes, if you're using per-project audio management, then saving as CWP files is better. I think I mentioned that in the book. Probably the best thing to do is save as CWP so that you can work faster and manage your audio files manually, but also save as CWB at the end of a session, just in case for backup purposes.
Thanks for the reply, Scott!

But please expain why bundles would be the safest method. The way I see it, you take perfectly usable (and "stable") wav-files, line them all up after another, and then save them as another file-type, making them unusable if the project is destroyed. With wave-files you still have the individual files, and it's possible to restore the project (but it will take a while...). ;)

moskus said:
But please expain why bundles would be the safest method. The way I see it, you take perfectly usable (and "stable") wav-files, line them all up after another, and then save them as another file-type, making them unusable if the project is destroyed. With wave-files you still have the individual files, and it's possible to restore the project (but it will take a while...). ;)

I can see advantages both ways...

With Bundle files you only have to worry about 1 file instead of multiple files... which from a back up purpose is only one file to CD. But as Moskus said... what happens with the Bundle file corrupts? You will loose all data, however if you were using just project files with all the wave data, if one file is bad, it won't effect the rest of the project.

With saving as CWP, unless you have folder per project is not very effective/managable. But I actually prefer this way... I just burn the directory to CD for backup.

Just my thoughts...

Porter

If the bundle corrupts, you can rename it to .wav and open it in a editor (I think). All the audio-clips are lined up, making one long file, and it will take forever to restore the project. With Folder-per-project that is avoided... :)

Hmmm... I think you guys may be changing my mind on this topic. After some consideration... yes, using per-project folders is probably the best method of saving. It gives you complete access to the files, and it is also easy to back up.

I believe my main reason for recommending bundles initially was because of earlier versions where per-project folders were not available. Without per-project folders all WAV files were put in the same folder mixed together and they were given nonsense names so you couldn't tell which projects they belonged to. I'd heard from many people who happened to have corrupted files who basically lost entire projects because they couldn't reconstruct them and hadn't saved as BUN.

Now with per-project folders maybe BUN will become obsolete. Not sure what Cakewalk has planned.

Best regards,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge and Sound Forge 6, SONAR and SONAR 2 Power! books; Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free copy of PowerFX's Dyad DXi software synth and learn more cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 14,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

garrigus said:
I believe my main reason for recommending bundles initially was because of earlier versions where per-project folders were not available.
... and to be fair I don't think Sonar had the Folder-Per-Project option before Sonar 2.1, but I'm not sure about that one... ;)

I did jump on the ACKUS ban wagon late... so I'm not 100% about when the pre project folders came in...

When I bought Sonar I read the Sonar Manual from cover to cover, then I bought your book... Sonar Power!... read that from cover to cover... now I just need to put all my knowledge to the test.... I will get a song done shortly!!

Porter

Actually... I just remembered something that might change our minds about 'bundle' files.. I guess the first question might be (personally I haven't played around with them) what happens when you open a bundle.. does it save all the tracks wav files to an audio directory or does it open them from the actual file?

The reason I ask this is that I was working on a project a couple of weeks ago late one night, anyhow, I forgot to save the project after I had recorded the last couple of tracks, I inserted the ReValver DXi and Sonar froze on me... I could only crash out of it. Now before I did anything (including closing Sonar) I went to the projects audio directory and copied it just in case the program deleted any files. When I went back into the project half of the tracks were missing (all that I had recorded since the last save). Any way, I was able to inport all the files again into the program and line them up... would I have been able to do that with a Bundle file or not?

Porter

Porter: before sonar 2.1 you would have had to go through the audio folder (not per project, but the wav folder which contained all wrk/cwp audio) and find the files that didn't get saved and import them into your project. all you really would have had to do was to list the audio files with details so you could see the timestamp, but it still would have been a pain in the bunz.

Back