Earthworks mics

Marik

Pro Microphone Design
Gentlemen,

Extremely important!!!

I need close up pics of Earthworks capsule head of any model and/or at least its dimentions (mostly diameter). Is it ribbed (like ECM8000) or not?

Grazie, Marik

Last edited:
Thank you DigitMus,

You cannot imagine how helpfull it was! :cool:
One more question: what kind of grill it has, or is it just a black fabrik jobbie on the tip?

Thank you Gentlemen,

Can you tell one more thing. If you ever seen WM60 or many other small electret capsules, the diameter of the body is about 5 mm, and the hole on the tip is only 2 mm. Can you see what is the diameter of this hole on Earthworks?

The last couple inches of the housing are just a metal tube, so the "hole" is the diameter of the the tube (1/4 in. - about 6.5mm) minus the thickness of the tube walls (about 1mm) - so I'd guestimate the "hole" at 4.5mm.

SG

Earthworks capsule investigation

Marik,

Are you trying to determine if Earthworks uses panasonic capsules?

I can tell you a short story about the orginins of Earthworks mics...around 1991 David Blackmer (dbx / Earthworks founder) sat down at my desk at and dumped out a bag of Panasonic capsule and proceeded to take them apart. He performed the Linkwitz mod on them but was also interested in bypassing the internal FET.

He and I looked also looked over wire mesh and extruded tubing catalogs for suitable measurment mic parts.

Rumor has it that current Earthworks mic use special capsules but I can assure you the earliest models were built from stock Panasonic parts subjected to the Linkwitz mod.

cheers, MJ

Re: Earthworks capsule investigation

<The last couple inches of the housing are just a metal tube, so the "hole" is the diameter of the the tube (1/4 in. - about 6.5mm) minus the thickness of the tube walls (about 1mm) - so I'd guestimate the "hole" at 4.5mm.>

Thank you DigitMus!

MichaelJoly said:
Marik,

Are you trying to determine if Earthworks uses panasonic capsules?

I can tell you a short story about the orginins of Earthworks mics...around 1991 David Blackmer (dbx / Earthworks founder) sat down at my desk at and dumped out a bag of Panasonic capsule and proceeded to take them apart. He performed the Linkwitz mod on them but was also interested in bypassing the internal FET.

He and I looked also looked over wire mesh and extruded tubing catalogs for suitable measurment mic parts.

Rumor has it that current Earthworks mic use special capsules but I can assure you the earliest models were built from stock Panasonic parts subjected to the Linkwitz mod.

cheers, MJ

Michael,

Good to see you back! Thanks for the information.
No, not all I am trying to investigate origin of Earthworks capsules--just researching for my ECM8000 mod.
Primarily... I thought that small input diameter of the capsule and cavity between body and diaphragm create a resonator for flat response, and the little black jobie is a part of this. What happens when we remove this resonator?

I talked to David at one of the AES shows and he mentioned that he was using a special Panasonic capsule made just for his microphones.

Back