Earthworks Cardiods with out excessive low end roll off?

qbert1

Hi,
Does the Earthworks company make a cardioid mic that doesn't roll off steeply after 125hz? I'm planning to do some stereo classical and jazz ensemble recordings and my SR71's seem to lack the low end I'd need for a Wind Ensemble/Concert band. The SR 77's (Sr 30's) seem to have similar specs in this regard.

I would really like to stick with Earthworks, but fear their cardioids can't help me here.
Thanks in advance.

I think DPA 4022s or Gefell m300s or SMS2000s would serve you very well.
DPAS are kind of pricey...and you really have to be in a great spot to make them sing...but they have a pretty flat response..and are praised worldwide..Gefells are lesser known (dont know why, they smoke pretty much any other brand in my opinion) ..Are you deadset on Cardiod???Omnis seem to me a great option for Acoustic/Non PA music...I use DPA 4061s on Jazz and Classical, sometimes with two channels of card(MGs) to fill it out...
Earthworks QTC-1s are great...and at a meter spread they really do very well....A friend of mine uses exclusively earthworks(he is an archivist like myself) ..uses two qtc1s and 2 sr 77s mixed together through a 4 channel mixer and into a DAp1.
BUT Like I said..the DPA 4060s SMOKE on classical/jazz....I can provide you with sound samples if need be. Have you thought about omnis on a jecklin disc???Another pair of mics that I think is amazing on this sort of music is the Josephson c617 with the MG MK221 capsules, mounted on a jecklin disc..The J-Disc is a beautiful tool for all things acoustic...anyway,,,im rambling..PM me or email me(raytheapostle@yahoo.com) if you want to talk more...I do archiving for some jazz bands here and do a lot of Classical location recording too, so ive had some experience with mic shopping for this task...sorry to be longwinded.

TRB

qbert1 said:
Hi,
Does the Earthworks company make a cardioid mic that doesn't roll off steeply after 125hz? I'm planning to do some stereo classical and jazz ensemble recordings and my SR71's seem to lack the low end I'd need for a Wind Ensemble/Concert band. The SR 77's (Sr 30's) seem to have similar specs in this regard.

I would really like to stick with Earthworks, but fear their cardioids can't help me here.
Thanks in advance.

I have a pair of SR-71's and as much as I like them they wouldn't be my first choice for what you're doing. An omni would do much better and I second the Jecklin disc array.

I couldnt believe the difference it made when I put my omnis on the jdisc...I doubt I will ever use anything but the omnis and jdisc for acoustic/classical/jazz again. If you havent heard the josephson /MG MK221 combo I mentioned...I would reccomend listening to it..It MURDERS a lot of mic pairs on acoustic..specially with the jdisc...the MK221 capsule is a measurement capsule, but somebody decided to try it with the josephson bodies...and with stunning results..Fletcher at Mercenary audio can tell you more about that combo if you are interested. otherwise the DPA4060s are great...and tiny.

Track Rat said:
I have a pair of SR-71's and as much as I like them they wouldn't be my first choice for what you're doing. An omni would do much better and I second the Jecklin disc array.

Don't expect the SR77 (now the SR30) to deliver on low end either.

Man, a killer pair of SDC's are the Beyerdynamic MC930. That is a nice detailed mic that just soaks up the room. Beyer is that "other" German mic company!

War

Beyer has some decent products, you are right there. I am surprised more folks dont use them..another mic that is great is the MXL1004...they have a frequency response pretty close to Schoeps. If you want acoustic music recorded though...Omnis are the best for it, in my opinion..they are without that extra coloring that directional mics provide..and the jdisc was made for acoustic. I can make one for you if you dont want to pay big bucks for one.

trb

Well I was pretty married to Cardioids until you guys reminded me of the jecklin disc and omni combo. Most of my liking has been ORTF or XY due to the one tall stand needed and the tight center image. I'll have to open my mind to omni's now.

I've worked with QTC1's before but I can't afford that price point right now. I'd be happy to hear some other omni and cardioid suggestions. what about these Peluso's and Avensons? Worth a look for this application?

Thanks

'Avensons'

nifty mics but kinda noisy...probably a bit too much for your application... unless you've been missing the sound of tape hiss and want to get back into it. :eek:

Mike

Believe it or not, I have a Sound Room pair of the Octava 012's with all the caps and the omni's do a decent job in a Jecklin disc.

DPA 4060s are similar in price to Pelusos and are awesome omnis...probably in my top 3 omnis ever(1st Josephson c617 with mg MK221 caps2.)DPA 4060s 3.) MG 270s)...they are about 600 for a pair I think. they SIZZLE on acoustic music...and I already have a jdisc made for them if you want it. I made one for a bud, but he got deployed before he could use it. This jdisc design has worked very well for me. Ive made about 15 using this pattern for different folks. I can provide you a sample of some acoustic music made using the DPAs and jdisc if you want. EDIT:

The new pelusos that have just been made began shipping with flaws, so i think he recalled some of them....I dont like the sound particularly...I would say 4060s for sure if you cant get the earthworks or MGs....honestly the DPAs were made for acoustic music, IMHO...

qbert1 said:
Well I was pretty married to Cardioids until you guys reminded me of the jecklin disc and omni combo. Most of my liking has been ORTF or XY due to the one tall stand needed and the tight center image. I'll have to open my mind to omni's now.

I've worked with QTC1's before but I can't afford that price point right now. I'd be happy to hear some other omni and cardioid suggestions. what about these Peluso's and Avensons? Worth a look for this application?

Thanks

bigtoe said:
'Avensons'

nifty mics but kinda noisy...probably a bit too much for your application... unless you've been missing the sound of tape hiss and want to get back into it. :eek:

Mike

I think they call that "vintage"

BigRay said:
DPA 4060s are similar in price to Pelusos and are awesome omnis...probably in my top 3 omnis ever(1st Josephson c617 with mg MK221 caps2.)DPA 4060s 3.) MG 270s)...they are about 600 for a pair I think. they SIZZLE on acoustic music...and I already have a jdisc made for them if you want it. I made one for a bud, but he got deployed before he could use it. This jdisc design has worked very well for me. Ive made about 15 using this pattern for different folks. I can provide you a sample of some acoustic music made using the DPAs and jdisc if you want. EDIT:

The new pelusos that have just been made began shipping with flaws, so i think he recalled some of them....I dont like the sound particularly...I would say 4060s for sure if you cant get the earthworks or MGs....honestly the DPAs were made for acoustic music, IMHO...

Thanks! I'm going to look into the DPA's. I didn't realise they were so affordable. An audio clip would be great! I'll get back to you regarding the jdisk. How much would you want for it? PM me if you get a chance.

You probably already know this, but that's a great city you live in. Wish I could go back.

I looked into the the DPA's, I didn't realise they were lapel mics. How do you mount these on a mic stand?

qbert1 said:
NICE! This is the most helpful site ever!!! :D
DPA sells a miniture mic clip (DMM0001) that will let you clamp it to the rubber mic cord "U" clip (that most mic stands have). Hell, you can even make an "0" out of duct tape at the end of the mic stand, and clip the mic to the bottom of the hanging "0". Use some long rubber bands instead of duct tape for a quick and dirty shock mount. They're fairly resistant to handling noise. DPA even makes adhesive and magnetic clips for use inside pianos.

qbert1 said:
I looked into the the DPA's, I didn't realise they were lapel mics. How do you mount these on a mic stand?

On a jdisc. :D ..thats really the only way to run omnis, in my opinion...well that or in some cases, a 1 meter spread. but the jdisc is preferred over any other method. it images nice, big soundstage, and well..cant even describe it.
dont let the lapel thing fool you...they are AWESOME ambient/recording mics.

pm Sent, check your box.

Harvey Gerst said:
DPA sells a miniture mic clip (DMM0001) that will let you clamp it to the rubber mic cord "U" clip (that most mic stands have). Hell, you can even make an "0" out of duct tape at the end of the mic stand, and clip the mic to the bottom of the hanging "0". Use some long rubber bands instead of duct tape for a quick and dirty shock mount. They're fairly resistant to handling noise. DPA even makes adhesive and magnetic clips for use inside pianos.

That's a good idea. Harvey, do you think these DPA's are a good solution? Sadly I don't have much time any more to experement. It seems strange a lapel mic would get so much acclaim, but perhaps they're really the shizzle.

Back