Earphones, In Ear Monitoring for Casual Listening

PhiloBeddoe

Does anyone have any experience with a product like Shure E2 and E3? I'm looking for a general purpose in-ear earphone for airplane traveling and general use like exercise with an iPod. I definitely do not plan on mixing on them or anything. There's some possibility I could use them for rehearsals, but I'm fine using over the ear phones for that.

I currently have some noise cancelling headphones that work great for plane travel, but they're bulky.

I've read general amazon.com type reviews that are critical of the Shure's low end response, but I don't completely trust the average listener to judge that. Other reviews said they are fragile and didn't last long.

I don't need for the frequency response to be great, but something reliable that has decent isolation would be very useful.

Many Thanks

Holy moly, good question.

DISCLAIMER: I work for RadioShack Corporate, but this answer isnt biased.

Ok, I bought some awesome headphones the other day, and they are working wonders on sound and outside noise reduction. The 33-1167 at RadioShack (go to the website and type it in the search box) kick ass. They have gel insert type deals that go into your ear, and the sound response is phenomenal. It sounds like there is a subwoofer in your ear, and they basically seal off noise coming in from the outside. I can clap my hands in front of my face while listening to some music (at about a 3 or 4) and I can't hear the clap. I workout with these babies, as well as listen while working. They are comfortable in my ear, and I wear these things probably 4 hours a day.

My opinion, but those headphones are the best $20 i have spent on headphones.

Thanks for the reply. I noticed that the website says they are discontinued. Any idea why?

Certainly the price is right.

Another thing I noticed in reviews is it seems like comfort is an issue regardless of brand.

I've had 3 pairs of those radio shack phones.. The isolate amazingly well. If you crank up your ipod you won't even be able to hear your own foodsteps. Good sound too, not audiophile quailty but for $20!....

Back