Early Studio Design Ideas

sr71rules

I'm in the early planning stages of building out a new studio. The space I am planning to use it 20'x20' and I'd like to have it broken up into at least a control room and a live room. Am I crazy for thinking about a design like this? The console pictured is to scale as are other furniture items though I found those using the tools within Sketchup. Should I just keep it simple? Ceiling height is flexible and can be angled as well. I will have gear racks to add in as well, perhaps under the window, plus two tape machines. The small couch is just an idea and something to give me a sense of scale.

Feedback welcome.. but don't be too mean :)

Sketchup Rendering at and Angle

Sketchup Rendering Top Down

Robert

Looks cool.

Designs like this always make me wonder why you want a second room. It's awfully bloody small. If you are going to be having bands in while you act as producer/engineer/whatever I can see some need but why not just build and treat one space? The larger the room the more options you have for treatment and I think the task gets easier as well because the sound waves have further to "run away". Once you make the space smaller you complicate your life and make the treatment task exponentially more difficult.

From a personal standpoint I think, even in a rental studio, it's much more open and friendly having the guy pushing the buttons in the same room and a more integral part of the process than some face behind the glass and a disembodied voice in the cans. If you are doing your own stuff the second room is an unnecessary pain in the ass.

Cheaper to do one room too and I'm all over that.

lou

I hear what your saying. The CR does end up on the small side, 8.5' on the wide end and a bit over 14' long.

If I put everything in one room how do I avoid having to track everything thought headphones? With two rooms I can bring things up on the monitors and actually hear what's going to the recorder which for me is much much better than having to do it all in headphones.

I do very little of my own work, it's mostly other bands and artists.

Plus, I then only need to heat and cool the spaces I'm using on a given day. Here in NH we have both hot and cold and dealing with a smaller space helps keep the costs down.

I can't say I'm disagreeing with you. Lots to consider with these types of projects. Thanks for your input!

Robert

Here in New Hampshire, huh? No shit - I know all about it. ;)

If you're mostly doing outside work then you at least have a reason for a "control" room. I don't really think you need to hear what's "going to tape" as it happens. That's what mixing is all about. If your levels are good and your mic placements are good - you're getting good tracks - you don't need to hear what's hitting the deck at all. You should be "producing"; keeping time, giving cues, putting out fires, etc. All your critical listening will come later after the band is long gone. If they need a quick fix between takes you can slap something together with cans while they wait or play it back and ride the faders.

I don't know - it's just a different approach.

lou

Ha! I hadn't even noticed your location. Always good to find New Hampshireites!

I was totally sold on the two room design, same as my current spot, but yesterday I visited a studio (In MA) that was one large room. Much larger than mine for sure, but he made it work. I hadn't been thinking about it at the time but I should have asked him how he liked it.

Your CR seems really long. Have you taken a look at the "ideal" room dimensions? I'd think about sticking your CR in a corner. and not splaying that front wall like that. Use that space for some bass trapping, etc.

Back