Early impressions of SX

Neil Ogilvie

Still Learning.......
Well, I have took the plunge and finally upgraded from VST to SX, and to be honest, I'm not as impressed as I expected :( .

1) In order to use the Dynamics section, it has to be loaded manually. In VST it was always there straight away - a very useful section for me.

2) I've not yet found a way to create MIDI parts and use the score function to create tracks. In VST all I had to do was double click and a part was created that I could add to and create MIDI drum click tracks with LM9.

3) No mixdown button on the master mixer! I have to go to the file menu to mix down.

4) It keeps telling me it can't load default.cpr at startup even though I set it to do that. Hmmmmm. Probably just me messing it up though.

5) The markers have to be set by typing rather than left and right clicks as in VST.

To be fair, I've only played with it for an hour or two so I could probably sort most of those problems with a bit more tinkering or *shudder* reading the manuals.......... None of them (apart from the MIDI one) are major either, just me being pedantic.

Apart from the points above, I have actually found it to be far more intuitive than VST aswell as a lot of other very positive points.

1) Visualisation of the waveform whilst recording.

2) Infinite Undo. :)

3) The whole project/template thing. Reminds me of watching my mate using Nuendo. In fact the whole feel of the programme is a lot more like Nuendo from what I can tell.

To be honest, I am sure I havent even scratched the surface as far as capabilities go, but does make me feel nostalgic about VST - probably because I knew the Audio side of that programme inside0out and I'm finding it frustrating re-learning Cubase. It does seem a great programme, but VST wasn't half bad either. It did everything I needed.

Back