EAPoL, random reboots and my ability to kill.

Brad

Oh computer, why hath thou forsaken me?

My damned system is addicted to crashing. Every time it crashes, the event viewer in XP tells me that EAPoL "started" at the same time as the crash. Event # is 2001, if that means anything. I have searched every nook and goddamned cranny of my system to find the EAPoL thing so I can turn it off - as I understand it, it has to do with networking AND I AM NOT ON A MOTHERLOVING NETWORK!! And I can't find this EAPoL or any background program that has that in it's name anyway.

I am stumped - but that is not hard to believe since I am not a computer guy. I am afraid to go poking around in certain places because I know I could do something foolish.

Here is what I am planning to do:
I am about to get a DVD burner. This will be my last hardware change for a long while (I hope) and I plan to reinstall the OS after I put the burner in. I am hoping that this may clear up the problem. Is this a good way to think?

Lastly, doesn't the computer understand that I can kill it anytime I see fit? Doesn't it know that I can kill it with my bare hands, or with gloves on for that matter?

Why are the walls closing in?

How do I love despite my increasing urges to destroy?

Where are those voices coming from?

You've looked through your services and scanned your registry? Have you tried killing your DHCP client and/or Simple TCP/IP service? If you can't find anything there, I'd start over with a clean OS install.

If you've gone through all the networking settings and every possible place this EAPOL thing might reside including registry, then I can think of nothing else to do but reinstall. Personally (and I'm rather sadistic this way) I would painstakingly backup the entire machine including drivers and then do an FDisk before reinstalling the OS. This should ensure that the same beast doesn't rear it's ugly head later. Good luck and I hope it's not too painful to fix. If your computer could understand your capacity to inflict harm on it, it probably would have run away already :D

Start->Settings->Control Panel->Network and Dialup Connections.

Do you see a connection in there? If so, get into its properties and look for the Authentication tab, and uncheck "Enable
access control using IEEE 802.1x".

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks guys.

THANKS SLACKMAESTRO! I will try that as soon as I get in the studio tonight.

If it works, I am gonna make sweet, sweet love to you!!

DavidK - don't think of it as two-timing you, man. My love is so sweet, I have to share it with the rest of the world! Think of it as me improving the global love stew with a dash of Brad.

Slack, unfortunately, I couldn't find the exact thing you mentioned. What I did do was disable everything I could find having to do with being on/connected to a network, and the problem is still there. I still had a few things enabled, so I thought it was the cure, but no luck.

Do you still recommend Win2k? I am seriously considering moving to that OS. I know that our hardware/software config's are different, but you have had good luck with 2k, right? I am pretty sure I have read that in a post or two of yours.

Brad

Win2K forever! I think I have posted that at least 3 times today. I have never had a problem with Win2k in audio, high-end 3D, video editing or business apps. I don't trust XP one bit, have had huge problems with it on other machines at home and work. But that could be just my experience :)

Try switching off the services that pertain to networks, from the Computer management -> services. I'm assuming you don't connect to the 'net from your DAW.

Have you downloaded any new 'share'ware? some of these poll networks frequently. Networks in the case of XP and 2K means intenet connections too.

Try switching off auto update and system restore in XP, and while you're at it, turn of all visual effects so you get a slightly leaner OS.

Back