E-MU Proteus 2 Orchestral Sound Module

lilman42459

I am looking for some good string sounds out of a synth/module. This is going to be a production project for a CD. Has anyone used one of these? I have heard good things about it. Just wanted to know if anyone has first hand experience with it. Thanks Guys

Lilman

You are talking about the Proteus 2 that came out about 15 years ago? There's waaaaaay better strings out there these days. It depends on how real you need the strings to be. If you are just looking for synthy type pads then Proteus orchestral 2 might be fine. But for anything more real you'd do a lot better with something like a Roland XV-2020 or 5050 with the SRX-04 strings board in it.

Exactly. If your after what I like to call the Jean-Michel Jarre String sound, The old Proteus will do fine for you. But if your after the London Symphony Orchestra sound, definitely look elsewhere. IMHO the best strings I've heard are some of the nicer sample sets like the Vienna series (Maybe check out GigaStudio). The Rolands are good too. I like the Korg Orchestral expansion card set too.

I have a Proteus and while some of the single orchestral sounds are decent the sounds designed to reflect a string section are not the best.

Certainly samples can be a good way to go, but quality sample libraries can be costly and unless you know exactly what you are buying it can be somewhat hit or miss.

I've always thought Roland did strings better then most. The XV5050 is a very good module for the cost and has some very decent orchestral sounds.

GamezBond said:
maybe hes talkin about the proteus 2000, which goes for about 250$ in pawn shops and ebay

I kind of don't think so, he got the name of the Proteus 2 Orchestral exactly right. Also, I'd have to say that the Proteus 2000 is worse for strings than the old Proteus 2 Orchestral. And I say that as an owner of a P2k and having used the Proteus 2 Orchestral extensively.

The thing you have to do with the P2k is add the Virtuoso string expansion board, or the Protozoa expansion board. The Protozoa is the first three Proteus modules on a card, so you are actually getting the Proteus Orchestral 2 on it.

All in all, for strings I find the Roland boards to be a lot better. As I mentioned earlier, any XV or Fantom synth/module with the SRX-04 expansion will be great for strings.

Thanks for the replies. I wrote all the names down you guys just mintioned. Got to do some searching. I want the strings as real as possible. Thanks again.

Back