e-mu or korg

FBstdminime

I'm looking for a nice keyboard (I'll be doing any type of music). I've been looking at the Korg n364 and the new E-mu proteus (pk-6 i think). Which do you think would be a better buy?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Since you're desperate for an answer, I'll give you mine, but I've never tried the Korg n364 so keep that in mind.

I did try the Proteus and I was very excited about it when I heard about it. When I saw it at my local Guitar Center I couldn't wait to start playing with it. I was deeply dissapointed. The sounds weren't up to the standard that I expect from E-mu. The claim was that they packed in the power of many of their rack mounted modules (which I like very much), but I couldn't coax such sounds from this unit. Furthermore, the interface makes Yamaha synths look easy by comparison. Just gettting around on this thing was hit and miss, where it should have been instinctual.

Now, as I said, I've never tried the Korg n364 (hence why you got no response from me before about this), but I find that Korg as a keyboard manufacturer is consistant when it comes to good quality. Look at the Karma, Triton, CX-3 or any of thier less expensive synths or digital pianos and you'll see what I mean.

As far as I know the Proteus is E-mu's first forray into keyboard design since the Emulator (I may be wrong about that, but they certainly don't produce a plethora of keyboard units).

So, I would recommend Korg over the Proteus based on what I've said above. Still, the Korg n364 might suck like a Hoover, so take what I say for what it is worth.

Carl

I have had the N364 for a while now, and surprisingly enough to some people, I still use it every day. The PK-6, in my opinion, was a good idea "on paper", but the actuality of it is somewhat lackluster, I would sooner get the Proteus 2000 module and just control it from my N364 or Trinity.

Basically I'm saying that in my opinion, I like the N364 a lot, and while I like the Proteus 2000 module the PK-6 was a waste of time.

KORG N364 is the answer... I've got mine for last 5 years... it still rocks me... I've used proteus also -new to it-, but in my opinion, it works it's best only on analog based sound such like pad, sawsynth, etc... so, if you look for one that do good on most kind of music's sound, pick KORG N364...

bringing this thread back from the dead

Just wanted to know... I have a cheapie yamaha psr262 or whatever, so I could use that as a controller for a sound module. Would getting the proteus 2000 and controlling it with that be better than getting the korg? I want really good sounds, especially for strings, piano, and organ.

I'll tell you this much. The prices on the E-mu stuff has been falling like bricks lately.

Again, I'm not familiar with the Korg that you are interested in, but when the price gets low enough, you might want to get something from Proteus just for the bargain.

Carl

...Good review, brzilian.

Haaa...
See...? they just getting cheaper now. You can even have Triton Lite for under $1000 now. :) Now... go go go... get one of them... they are all cool & hot at a same time... :)

When do you suppose that Yamaha will come out with a rack mountable version of the S and P series synths?

Well, I'm really tempted to get the triton le. However, I play rock so I will not be needing good beats or whatever. I mainly want to buy it for sound quality. I'm going to GC tomorrow to try it out, but before I go, does anyone have any other suggestions? There may be a cheaper keyboard with better sounds but no beat stuff.

depends on the kind of music you're doing. for commercial stuff, i turn to the proteus a lot. i have it expanded with a mophatt and an XL1 lead board. if you play with a proteus for a while, you'll find a lot of sounds used on commercial tracks.

but in other places, korg beats emu. depends what you want.

Back