E-mu 1212M Balanced Inputs?

jbucla2005

I've got a Presonus Blue Tube which has balanced outputs, so I bought a balanced XLR -> phono and I plugged it into my E-mu 1212M, then selected the Balanced default session, and tried to make it work, but I was having these problems: the gain became different, it appeared I had a lot less gain, and my waveform displays weren't accurate. It works fine when I use the unbalanced (-10) input setting. What am I doing wrong? I want a balanced connection. Thanks!

?

The card should have balanced 1/4" so you should just need an XLR to TRS patch cable. Is this what you have? What is hte box you're calling the XLR to phono?

?

The card should have balanced 1/4" so you should just need an XLR to TRS patch cable. Is this what you have? What is hte box you're calling the XLR to phono?

yes, XLR to TRS patch cable is what I have. The card has two settings for output and input, +4 for balanced and -10 for unbalanced. The problem I have is when I select the +4 balanced for input. it works fine on -10, but then, is it still a balanced connection? I'm using Steinberg Wavelab Lite to record.

Don't actually know this but I'd suspect it would change the sensitivity but balanced or not would be the cable/source or recieving connection(?) If you plug TS into TRS for example it becomes unbalanced' right there (and the signal may even go down a bit?) but it'd still be in the '+4' range.
Maybe it says in the manual?

balanced is 3 wires, unbalanced 2. It shouldn't matter if it's +4 or -10, unless the card assumes unbalanced at -10. Are the polarity the same all around on the XLR and on the three parts of the phone plug? (Should be, but I have older gear that is pin 3 hot on XLR which is no longer the standard.)

Back