E-Mu 0404 ... No or Distorted Sound

Editor

I just installed the 0404 & loaded an MP3 file to check playback. All I got was distorted, low-level sound. No other sound cards are installed, the onboard card is disabled and I updated the drivers.

I don't completely understand the Patchmix thing but I managed to find the Restore Defaults & rebooted, hoping that might fix things but no dice.

Everything worked when I had a Creative Audigy 2 ZS in the machine (yes, drivers/software uninstalled before installing the 0404).

Anything else I can check?

Vista Home Premium/3 GB ram/Acer duo quad

Is this the USB or PCI device?

What do you have plugged in to it to listen with? Speakers, headphones? IN what plug?

peace.

Its the PCI model using 2.1 powered speakers (Altec, 2 front + sub). They are plugged into the L/R outs of the analog breakout cable.

I managed to get some decent playback of an MP3 file by selecting a 'Blank 44.1' template in Patchmix but after closing Media Player & opening another sound file, Media PLayer now reports that there is a problem with my soundcard. Also, something is interfering with video playback in my Premiere Pro.

No conflicts or problems display in Device Manager.

Okay, sounds like you got it working properly. My next suggestion was going to be loading a 44.1 template.

The windows media error is a problem with windows media player. I get the error often and usually after I change something around. It can be frustrating. Under tools, select options, then select the Devices tab and then double click on speakers. You can choose the EMU directly from there. Close out wmp, then open it again and it should play through the emu. If not, you'll have to keep trying something new to get it to work.

Cool man,

I decided to start over so I uninstalled all devices/drivers and opened the box to unplug/replug in the card. The card was partially out of the slot. The machine I have (Acer) uses a plastic clamp deal (like Dell, HP?) to hold all cards steady but it must have come loose when I was attaching cables. I threw the plastic thing away and screwed in the card.

This made WMP happy but the best sound I could get was low-level & distorted again.

Thinking it might be a Vista issue, I checked the E-Mu site and sure enough, there were updated drivers and Patchmix software. After installing all this, I got boot errors from Patchmix saying that I don't have all the "1010 hardware" I should have. I assume the '1010' is another model card.

Still no luck this morning.

I decided to start over so I uninstalled all devices/drivers and opened the box to unplug/replug in the card. The card was partially out of the slot. The machine I have (Acer) uses a plastic clamp deal (like Dell, HP?) to hold all cards steady but it must have come loose when I was attaching cables. I threw the plastic thing away and screwed in the card.

This made WMP happy but the best sound I could get was low-level & distorted again.

Thinking it might be a Vista issue, I checked the E-Mu site and sure enough, there were updated drivers and Patchmix software. After installing all this, I got boot errors from Patchmix saying that I don't have all the "1010 hardware" I should have. I assume the '1010' is another model card.

Still no luck this morning.

In the past, I have had luck with emailing EMU support and getting reasonable responses within a few days. Sounds like this might be your best bet.

Yeah, I sent off a message yesterday but I guess they don't work weekends ;-)

Thanks for responding Chili :)

Just an update; I stumbled across a tip somewhere that suggested changing the PCI slot the card was in. I did this & everything seems to work now. Apparently, there was an IRQ conflict -- I don't know this for sure since I didn't check before swapping slots.

I thought this kind of thing didn't happen in Vista ?!?

Yeah, r i i g g h h t t ;-)

Anyway, I'll post again if things change.

Back