e 604

jal

over the weekend ametth came and visited and we compared a bunch of mics (sennheiser md421, Russian Transducer Technology VM100, akg c3000b, sm57, akg c1000, e604, ev n/d 257, some old white mic ihave its either a peavey or ev, and a peavey electret condenser) we tested these on g-amps and vox, and what we came up with was surprising. we always leaned more towards the 604's it just gave a fat sound and had a real good bass response, ud probably wanna rool off some of the lows though. on the vocals we leaned more towards the vm100, but the 604 was far off, we then tried the 604 with the c3000 together and that sounded great........those 604's what a surprise... :)

i know, even live they sound great. when i get to austin in 29 days im ordering a 3 pack of those from samash.

Yeah, the Sennheiser Evolution are great mics, especially for the low, low price.
I have used them for about one and a half years now (since they came out) and I love them. Not so much for the snare though (I use a MD421 for that, but hey, that's a personal opinion).
For the kick drum I use a E602, very smooth and nice mic for low freqs. For guitar cabs the 609 (looks like a french toast) is great also. Although I do not work for them (Sennheiser) I've always been a big fan of their mics and headphones.
The Evolution series was developed for live use, but I use them a lot in the studio, cause they are really great (if you do not want to spend a small fortune on large dia condensers for every tom).
Just my opinion.

Cheers

Arthur

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arthur:
Yeah, the Sennheiser Evolution are great mics, especially for the low, low price.

For the kick drum I use a E602, very smooth and nice mic for low freqs. For guitar cabs the 609 (looks like a french toast) is great also.
Cheers

Arthur
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Arthur,

is the 609, the eVolution version of the 409"The doobie brother mic" as it's called so many times?
The 409 is a great mic for Toms.

Tim

Hi Tim,
Indeed it is. They even improved the specs. It still is a great mic for toms, but it rocks on guitar.

Cheers
Arthur

They are good for toms, but I don't care for them on the snare or guitars. The SPL on them are not that high.

I guess what I meant is that the mic overloads at high levels, regardless what the specs say.

Fishmed: strange, I never had a 609 crapping out...

JAL: I don't use the 609 on kick. I used various mics on kick drum, some quite orthodox, MOR kind (like the Sennheiser E602, AKG D112, Sennheiser 421), some less ordinary (like a Neumann TLM 103 - very good on kick, even a U87ai - if you're carefull with the SPL). For the home studio recordist, the 602 is excellent value for money. Did you know they're hand-crafted?
I don't record that much live drums anymore, since my studio uses a Clavia Ddrum4 system a lot lately (with the stock pads or triggered)... I guess I'm spoiled :)

Cheers
Arthur

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arthur:
I don't record that much live drums anymore, since my studio uses a Clavia Ddrum4 system a lot lately (with the stock pads or triggered)... I guess I'm spoiled :)

Cheers
Arthur
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arthur, how do you like the Ddrum4's? i have the Ddrum2 system, and the pads on it stink. i mean, they were alot better than everything else at the time-but they still feel like a pad. I've heard that the new ddrum pads are really good, and feel good to play on.

Tim

Hi Tim,
Well, IMHO the Ddrum4 pads (die cast aluminum with real drumheads) come as close as possible to the real thing, at least that's what all the drummers are telling me. They are indeed a lot better than those on the Ddrum2 (also the sounds on the module are a lot better). I think it's as realistic as can be if you don't have the resources to put a Neumann on every tom and cymbal of a 3K$ customized drum, recorded in a top notch studio.
BTW, you can buy the pads seperately and use them to trigger the Ddrum2 brain, no probs. Just the new hihat and cymbals need the Ddrum4, but we always use real cymbals and hihats anyway.

Cheers
Arthur

Fishmed, you were saying the 609's overload at high SPLs ... If they're rated at 150db, it's likely not the mic. Are you sure it's not the preamp overloading? Maybe try a pad...? Just a thought.

Back