Dynaudio bm15a - Room size

Emirioz

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and i'm about to purchase my first set of studio monitors.
I know the title says it all but i'm planning to purchase a serious set of monitors and they are not entry level.
The reason being is that i want to buy a set of monitors to last me long and i don't want to purchase a new set every year or every other year.
I solely produce hiphop so i need allot of bass extension.

I read allot of reviews of the b15a's and i never saw not one single negative remark about them, i've heard the bm6'a and i really liked them, i just want a little bit more spl power and bass, so my desecion has been made.

My question is, are the bm15a's too big for my room?

The room size is about 13 square meters in total and has a shape of a square, on all sides equal measures.
The left wall is thinner then the right wall, because it borders to the bathroom.
(acoustical treatment tips?)

I've made 10 bass trap of rockwool for the corners, is this a good idea or are other absorbers better suited for these monitors?

All tips and advice are welcome,

Thanks

Emir

The "square" thing is a major bummer. But you're definitely on the right path with gobs of rockwool. See how it goes and add more if you need it. It's not like you can use too much...

Square rooms are never good due to standing nodes. Others can point you to online calculators for that type of thing. You should have bass traps (minimum 4" thick rockwool, better are 'super chunks') in all corners from floor to ceiling, absorption at point of first reflection on side walls and ceiling cloud.

In a room that small, they may indeed be too much. 13 square metere, as a square room I calculate as 11'8"x11'8" for those of us in the US.

This...Dynaudio BM15A

Says the speakers are a little on the bright side, no bad thing as you will need to stuff the room (I thought I was hard done by with 12.5' x 12" !) But I wonder if something a little smaller but of equal quality and price might be better?

You might also consider closed boxes as against vented?

Dave.

Back