Dynamic or Condensor

teetopkram

Greetings - after months of reading, lurking, and trying to absorb all knowledge I can, I need to ask the experts as to whether to buy a condensor or a dynamic mike for vocals and acoustic recording. the main issue is my room and noise levels.

My beginner studio is in my home office, which is carpeted, has no acoustical treatment (drywall), 12' ceilings, 3 walls are square (1 angles), and lots of stuff to fill it (bookcase, three wood desks, file cabinet, and all my music equipment). It's pretty cramped in there. The room faces a neighborhood street with kids, traffic, lawnmowers, etc., going by through most of day.

My objective is to make personal recordings for myself, with just me playing and singing, all just 1-2 tracks at a time. I want respectable quality with little noise, but certainly don't need anything professional sounding.

With these limitations and my concerns about ambient noise, would a dynamic be a better choice? Or is the improvement in sound worth it to build a small recording booth (i.e., surrounding myself with moving blankets supported by PVC) and go with a condensor?

The only mike I have ever recorded with is the SM57, and I don't like its sound on my voice (too much midrange).

If a dynamic, what are some generally-accepted choices in the $100-200 range for my purposes? What preamp would you match it to? Same question for a condensor mike... (or two for stereo recordings).

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Good choice, the SM57.

For solo acoustic and vocal work you will probably want condenser mics, ambient noise or not. Though there are great dynamic mics for vocals, I think condensers will give you a better sound for acoustic guitar.

So a pair of SDC or LDC mics would be a good place to start. There are lots of suggestions here for budget condensers, so just read for a while and listen in to other people's stuff till you know what you like for your sound.

Pres, same thing. There's so many budget interfaces and so many opinions that compete for your attention - but only you can decide what's right for your setup. There's some decent inexpensive gear out there, and there's some expensive gear that is overpriced for it's level of performance.

Some removable window treatment can help a little with the ambient noise. Just remember that mass is what attenuates sound, and that sound will flank an object. So while blankets will change the sound somewhat for better or worse or neither, they won't stop sounds from reaching your mic. If you can do recording later at night it might help, and there's always a closet or bathroom if you don't mind the sound of the small room.

Tee, do you HAVE a SM57 right now?

Any mixers and/or pre's at hand?

Then another reasonable path would be to ask "what would be some good choices in a parametric EQ unit for under $200?".
(in order to get more mileage out of this mic)

Supposedly, the SM57 is able to make pretty decent recordings of an acoustic guitar. Assuming it's placed well/EQ'd well that is.
It was used on that way on the "Traveling Wilbury's" album BTW.

As far as vocals with a SM57, the pre (and EQ unit) make a large difference.

A less fussy choice in dynamic mics would be the Electro-Voice EV 635a omni. Pairing it with a bass heavy acoustic would be smart idea too.

Another option would be to get something somewhat neutral, like a Studio Projects B1, then put a PVC/blanket thing together.

Chris

I've got a RODE NT3 that was $100 on clearance at GC that I'm very happy with. I just use the pres on my TASCAM US 122.

I think you've already answered your own question. Sounds like you need/want a good dynamic mic.

A lightly-used Sennheiser MD421 might be had for $200. It's a very good mic.

For around $100 or less, the not-well-known Peavey 520i or 520tn is a very good dynamic mic.

Thanks for the feedback..AG - maybe I have answered my own question!!

Chess - right now I am using a friend's mexican made SM57, other than that I have nothing (just getting started). Running it through my Carvin acoustic amp, through a built-in 5-band EQ, direct out into my Powerbook. From what I have learned here and in another post, maybe the chain is the problem and not the mike.

Thanks again.

Back