Dynamic microphone sounds dull.

I only got a 990 recently, and agree it really is a nice solid mic, and I spotted mine in a second hand shop and bought it on a whim.

If you post what you think is a dull recording on Soundcloud or similar, we can have a listen and tell you if it is, or if it's something else. Dynamics can sound very strange very close in as people have said, but some can be duller - Things like SM58 Shure's are pretty well known, but there is an SM48 - which is rare, but does sound dull in comparison. Shure 50's mics, and their Chinese clones all sounds a bit dull by design, but some dynamics don't? We don't know your degree of dullness.
degree of dullness … like from recording university ? Nice

I only got a 990 recently, and agree it really is a nice solid mic, and I spotted mine in a second hand shop and bought it on a whim.
If you're on a budget or starting out with condensers, it really is a decent mic at $99 new. I bought the combo 990/991, new on sale for $100. And being my first condenser was impressed as I had nothing to compare it to. I used them both on my first acoustic guitar recording. The stick mic on the neck and the 990 at head level tilted downwards that picked up the low end and have to say it turned out really good. Used a 12 string for a picked rhythm and 6 string to do melody notes. I found another set at the pawn shop and snagged for $35.
Other pawn shop grabs I got are a Rode NT1A, AT2020, and a MXL V63M. The 63M is another one that surprised me with it's response and power and works well with my voice.

my brother liked the 990 a lot, he for some reason was given free stuff frequently, so he had Neumanns 102, 103, Sennheisers, etc....
but the 990 he had were good ones and his favorites, but he was a bit mystified thinking his 102 should have blown him away but didnt.

I think with cheaper stuff there can be less QC , so I never doubted some love em, some think yuk!!!
even Nuemann says a lot of their cost is in QC, labor and rejects, while cheaper stuff is pumped out with few rejects and less QC=some bad ones in the stores.
I worked manufacturing and it was the same with TV parts, chips...military grade testing lots of rejected parts, or cheap, no testing but cheap consumer everything shipped! lol.

Ive gone through a few mics and the V67 MXL I have is really pleasant on vocal and has sparkle to it and can sound really nice. $129 Heritage is good looking, the mic, the metal screen, the shockmount, a cleaning towel, decent box.

AT2020 was / is a top pick by a lot of people.

Back