Dynamic microphone does not work on my audio interface

BlinkBridge

Hey guys.

I have a Sennheiser MK 4 which I plugged into my interface Focusrite Solo (first generation) that works perfectly. However, I recently bought a dynamic microphone (Behringer XM8500), which when I plug it into my interface (which I know does not require phantom power, but it should still work nonetheless) yields no audio whatsoever. The interface has an indicator if audio is being received, so a green light is turned on whenever there is audio. However, when I plug the Behringer, it does not show anything at all.

I thought that the microphone was faulty or that the phantom power could have damaged it, but it is extremely unlikely for this to happen.

Any solutions?

- Are you using the same XLR to XLR cable that the MK4 works with? Tried a different cable?
- The XM8500 likely needs much more gain than the MK4 and the gain knob may need to be turned almost fully clockwise to show signs of signal.

Did you plug the mic in with phantom power active?

This is a long shot, but I had two CAD 411 mics suddenly go dead when they were plugged into an interface with the phantom power on. Checking everything (cables etc) but found nothing amiss. Everthing worked fine with a condenser mic.

I disassembled the mics and checked the capsules. Both were open circuits. A good mic gave a measurement.

I wrote to CAD and asked if there was a problem with having phantom power on, and they said no, but that was the ONLY thing that was different that time. Since then, I make sure that phantom is off when I use those mics.

If possible, check for continuity between the + and - pins of the mic. You should get a reading, although it will probably be fairly high resistance. At least that will tell you if the capsule is OK.

Back