Dynamic mic transformer switch?

AMcB

Why you gotta be so mean?
I've been thinking. Has anyone tried to switch transformers between two different dynamics? Such as putting an i5 capsule on a 57 transformer? Either way, would there be anything wrong with this? Would it ruin anything? Just thinking. Mabye to just get a new sound.

Transformer swaps for the 57/58 are in vogue. I don't think I'd spend a lot of time swapping transformers though (you have to extract the 57/58 transformer from its wax, for example), I would just buy a better dynamic mic. Not very DIY, I know, but you have to pick and choose your DIY, unless you value your time at nothing. Good dynamic mics are cheap.

Nothing will explode if you want to try it though . . .

Not interested in a better mic. (well I always am, but that's not the point of this) just to experiment.

What is it that gives a mic it's characteristics? I realize, everything. But what role does the transformer play vs the capsule?

Not interested in a better mic. (well I always am, but that's not the point of this) just to experiment.

What is it that gives a mic it's characteristics? I realize, everything. But what role does the transformer play vs the capsule?

Probably best to ask the people who have done the transformerless 57 mod. But the capsule of any microphone will always be the largest single factor.

Back