DYnamic Mic problem!!!Help!!!

adreas422

Hey guys.Im new to recording with dynamic microphones.So, my problem is that when i use the mic from my headphones it works great but when i use my new dynamic mic it doesnt recording.A few days ago i was using an other dynamic mic but it broke down so today i bought a new one.The old one was working perfect but the new one doesnt work.And because i live near a radio station my dynamic mic records the songs from the station instead of my voice.I know you are confused and so am i but i need your help.My previous dynamic mic was recording the songs from the radio station too(before it break down).I dont think the problem is the mic.I think there is something wrong with my settings..Thanks!

Last edited:
Reason: I've forgoten something
You sure did :D

You told us your problem, but nothing useful to help figure it out :facepalm:

What microphones are you using (make/model), what cables and/or adapters to connect the microphones, into what mixer, interface, preamp, amplifier, computer, digital recorder, etc, using what software if using software, what settings in what, listening with what monitors/speakers, headphones, or other transducers are you not hearing the microphones, is the radio station AM or FM and do you like the music?

Is there a guitar involved?

Does this occur as well?
Hearing the radio through your teeth?

Ok you are right. So first i want to ask : can i use dynamic mic directly to my pc or do i needd a sound interface?

I dont use any interface/mixer i just connect my mic (microphone jack) into my computer.I dont use recording software yet.I try to listen my voice through a headset but i cant hear my voice neither from my speakers nor from my headset.I dont know why but my mic just connects to a fm station for no reason and when i tried to record my mic it recorded the song tha was playing at that time(recordpad )
No guitars involved :P
I dont know the mic model beacause i bought it from jumbo( store with useless things :P ) and i cant find the model name but at least it says Avec
Here are some information about the mic:Type: undirectional
Dynamic microphone
Impedance: 600 ohm
Frequency response 100-80000 hz
Sensivity : -77+-3DB

In addition my pc is 10 years old+ and that could be a big problem(desktop pc)I use VB and realtek at the same time. I know i shouldnt but it was working perfect with the previous mic a few weeks ago.I havent made any changes to my audio settings since the mic broke down

And yes i like music

Last edited:
- I guess if it's a cheap mic you get what you pay for. Poor shielding and it might pickup radio stations
- Your computer may not have enough gain for a dynamic mic.
- If your original mic seems broke, how sure are you that it's not the computer and not the mic?
- VB - Visual Basic program language?

If your computer has USB2.0, a somewhat current OS, and you lack $$$ in your wallet, probably an inexpensive USB mic might be the way to go to start out with depending on what you want to do with it.

Hey guys.Im new to recording with dynamic microphones.So, my problem is that when i use the mic from my headphones it works great but when i use my new dynamic mic it doesnt recording.A few days ago i was using an other dynamic mic but it broke down so today i bought a new one.The old one was working perfect but the new one doesnt work.And because i live near a radio station my dynamic mic records the songs from the station instead of my voice.I know you are confused and so am i but i need your help.My previous dynamic mic was recording the songs from the radio station too(before it break down).I dont think the problem is the mic.I think there is something wrong with my settings..Thanks!

The mic. on the headphones would be an electret mic. and will receive plug-in power from the computer - which is why it works.

Dynamic micropholnes are less sensitive and can be damaged by plug-in power.

You need yo set up the sound card of the computer properly to switch off plug-in power and set the sensitivity correctly - but this is not the best way.

It sounds like your dynamic mic. is unbalanced and the cable is acting like an antenna tuned to the frequency of the local radio station - which is why it's picking up the radio.

Ideally you need a USB interface with mic. pre-amp to connect to the computer.

This will give you both balanced mic. inputs and better monitoring than the computer can give.

The Focusrite Scarlett series start at very reasonable prices - look HERE.

You should use a proper balanced cable from the mic. to the interface to prevent spurious radio pick-up.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Im sure that the problem is the mic beacause as i said before when i use the mic of my headphones it works perfect.I only have problem when i use speaking mic.

My computer could be a big problem because it's old and weak(2 gb ram,1.6ghz cpu)

Vb is a program called voice metter which allows you to make many changes to audio/mic settings
(The folder name is VB and i couldnt remember the full name)
Voice Metter

So do you recomment me to buy a usb mic??Do you think it would help me??
I wont use the mic to record a song or to do something professional.Would you recomment a usb mic?

I am not proffesional so i wont use it to record songs etc. so i dont want to buy an interface.Are there any other ways?
Is a usb mic a good choice?

Hey guys.I have good news..Yesterday i gave my old mic to a friend and he was ae to fix it and now i have one mic.But what can i do to make the new mic work
I think i've already told you the problem with the new one
Is there a way to make it work or i have to buy a usb interface??

This..https://www.amazon.co.uk/BTSKY-Condenser-Microphone-broadcasting-voice-over/dp/B00ZH4STB6

Is a capacitor (aka condenser) mic that comes with a cable that allows it to plug into a laptop. I is not a USB mic and I found its performance significantly better than a USB mic twice the price.

The even better new is that the mic can be used with a conventional interface or mixer if you get the correct cable called "XLR male to XLR female" . Generally just called an "XLR mic cable".

Dave.

This..https://www.amazon.co.uk/BTSKY-Condenser-Microphone-broadcasting-voice-over/dp/B00ZH4STB6

Is a capacitor (aka condenser) mic that comes with a cable that allows it to plug into a laptop. I is not a USB mic and I found its performance significantly better than a USB mic twice the price.

The even better new is that the mic can be used with a conventional interface or mixer if you get the correct cable called "XLR male to XLR female" . Generally just called an "XLR mic cable".

Dave.

ok thank you all for your help

Dynamic micropholnes are less sensitive and can be damaged by plug-in power.

You need yo set up the sound card of the computer properly to switch off plug-in power and set the sensitivity correctly - but this is not the best way.
John, I get what you're saying that there could be current flow through a dynamic mic from plug-in power. Wondering if you've seen any white papers or other documentation that cites possible damage.

The plug-in power is generally 5vdc or less and a series resistor of about 2.2k limits the available current to a maximum of about 2.3ma. An SM57(with transformer) for example has a DC resistance of 17-18 ohms and 2.3ma through it would develop approximately 40mv across its winding and as a result 95 microwatts of heating, which I would believe not be damaging to a dynamic mic. I couldn't find DC resistance specs for other mics and those without a transformer may have higher DC resistances. I do sort of wonder if a small DC bias on the transformer could alter the the linearity, core saturation, or other characteristics.

I looked in two of my PC's and if there is a way to disable PIP, it is well hidden :)

Back