Dying Garden-Metal (Balladish)

Atterion

OK folks, long time no post of MP3's (I have a ton of 'em coming). So here's one for you to shred apart.

Dying Garden: http://www.mixposure.com/song.php?songid=15215

Kind of a departure from my heavier vocal side, featuring clean vox, but the typical "Darkened" sound (You know, "Heavy as Hell" doomy synths, distorted guitars, bass, drums, pretty much the same as every other metal band).

The mix is a pre-production mix, and a little dull I know, and will be fixed before final release. So you may have to give just a little push on the highs with your EQ. But once you do that you should have a pretty good idea of what I was hearing when I did this mix (Normally I track with TR-8XL's, but they are temporarily on loan, as I didn't think I would do a mix this week, so this mix is done on crappy Behringer Truth's which over-exaggerate the highs, so I cut 'em to save my brain from splitting open).

I think I got a pretty good overall balance though (possibly a little much kick/bass in some spots).

The song structure want's to push in spots but I don't let it (As is the case with the very first distorted guitar for example). I guess it is symbolic to the point of the song, that everything wants to go on forever, but it can't, change is inevitable.

So anywho let me know what you think. Criticism is always welcome. The song is more or less finished short of some possible narrative elements in the outro portion.

Oh here's the lyrics just in case you don't hear English to good :D

"Dying Garden-by:Darkened 2005"

"Lilys" weep under early snow,
And the "Heather" she knows,
It is time to go...

Stillwater turns to ice,
The footpath through our lives,
Under a vail of white...

"Roses" turn from red to black,
Cold Miss Decembers back,
In a cloak of cold...

Icy winds of cold's despair,
Flowers die in the frozen air,
For every life there's death...

Nice, dark sounds at the start. Very ominous. Glad you posted this at a high bitrate. Sounds very good. The guitar tone is very cool. Interesting vocal effect. Song reminds me a bit of Type O....Then it changes when the tempo picks up. Very cool. It has some really great dynamics to it.
Ed

Spank You!!! Spank You Very Much!!!

Glad you liked it. The vocal effect is actually the same one that is used on the second and/or third vocal parts of most my other songs. Figured, I'd try running clean Vox through that same setup.

I guess you could be right on the Type O reference (Definitely like Type O). I think I was influenced a bit more during writing this one by the older Opeth stuff though (hence the slight disjointedness in spots). I've been cranking the Athiest CD's lately (Thank god for reissues :) ). Can only imagine what I'll right next, will sound like.

Hey, cool song. Very dark and moody.
I like the sort of atmospheric synths but I'm not real crazy about the melodic synth parts (the actual synth sound itself) it's like a sort of electric piano sound whereas I would expect a more pure piano sound maybe...I don't know, I don't know too much about the synths and I don't play keyboards anyway so what do I know! :rolleyes: As long as it works for you.
You mentioned the kick maybe being too much, I don't think so at all, in fact I think it seems buried through much of the song. Unless there is alot of low end to it that I'm not really hearing on my smallish speakers....?
Vocal effects are pretty cool. Fits the song well.
Guitar sounds are cool too.
I don't dig the drums too much, but that is kind of a taste thing. I wouldn't want to tell you anything stylistic, as that it totally up to you. However, I think they do seem a little flat.
Cool Stuff overall tho.

Thanks for the input. I have actually grown to like the mix for the most part. Drums are definetly played as if this song was playing twice the tempo. I think it kind of adds to the dilemma (Drums that want to be faster, everything else wants to be slower).

And you must be referring to the intro part, which I wrote and recorded initially with a Gibson acoustic, but eventually replaced with String Theory. I agree from about the second time I listened all the way through that I needed to play a piano there and mix the Gibson track back in, and maybe even add a nice clean electric weaving in and out with some harmonies. ThanX

Back