DXi/VSTi's In Real Time

Whyte Ice

The Next Vanilla Ice
What program could I get that would allow me to play a DXi or VSTi in real time and pretty much just use these plugins as I would a sound module? I would like to think there is a freeware program out there that could do this but if not, I don't want to spend too much money on something so I'll set my budget limit to $50.

My plan is to just play the plugin and then record it with Cool Edit Pro (which doesn't support MIDI) via the Monitor Mixer (aka "What U Hear" option) setting on my Delta 44. All I really want to do is play and record using sounds from these plugins and just gradually build my way up to the other things MIDI has to offer.

So you want to play DXi or VSTi as stand alone synth software? Well, I never heard DXi-VSTi player so far. So far, regular softsynths available come as DXi only (which must be opened within DXi compatible main application like Sonar), VSTi only (Ditto for VSTi like Cubase SX), and stand alone version. Some can be mixed of DXi and VSTi version, and some offers stand alone feature (Like Native inst. B4, rgcaudio Z3ta+, etc).

I was about to suggest Sonar 3 to you, but since you limit the budget, I'm not sure you'll find it such cheap.

ps. Recording thru "What U hear" is not realy good idea. I've been there. It's fine for capturing idea, but you'll notice so many more problem when you want to get more serious with the project.

Wait.... You said "What U hear" ? You have Creative's card, don't you? Why don't you use soundfonts?

Yeah, thats pretty much what I would like to do. Just use it as a standalone instrument but am unsure what instruments carry a standalone feature or not. I was interested in Sample Tank, made by IK Multimedia and would like to use its library of sounds (samples) with my MIDI controller and record the output into Cool Edit Pro with my Monitor Mixer option which is like Soundblaster's What U Hear option. I've recorded other things before with it and seems to record just as clear as sound being inputted through the main inputs.

I am not running a Soundblaster card right now so unable to use soundfonts. I have an M-Audio Delta 44 card.

I've had others recommend Sonar to me for other reasons so I'm considering going for that, even if most of the options don't apply to me just right now. I'd like to work up to that point and it would be good to know that they are there when I would need them in the future.

The Cheap version of FruityLoops will play VST instruments...

You might also consider sequencing your VSTi track, then bouncing it down as audio to open in CEP. And, unless your a great pianist, you'll probably get a better performance.

-chris

Is it possible to record VSTs into CoolEdit? I thought not. If Im wrong, I will be very happy.

Back