DXI Synths

kgbjamin

Ok,
I need recommendations for a good DXI synth to use with sonar. I'm in the Navy and about to deploy so I can't take my studio with me. I'm running sonar on a laptop and have a mini-midi keyboard that interfaces rather nicely with it. The instruments that came with the program, (I've got the XL version) were kind of lame in my opinion. Maybe that's because I haven't really played with them a whole lot, but I'd like some opinions from anyone who is running other stuff. Can you run VST synths with Sonar?
Also, I've had the Vsampler (advertised on cakewalk's web page) for a short while and haven't been able to get sonar to recognize it. Anyone else have any luck using this DXi Program???
Any suggestions will be appreciated....

I think you have to have a VST wrapper program to run vst's with Sonar. I have not used one before, so, hopefully someone can direct you better...

Vice

Most of the "better" soft synths (like Tassman) have a pretty steep learning curve IMHO. Native Instruments gets a lot of positive reviews for their stuff.... I have the B4 and like it, plan to order more in the future.

The Sampler advertised by Cakewalk must be installed in the default directory (I love it when they let you browse to another one.... but then the program doesn't work)..... mine worked soon as I used the default.

Take Care

Unfortunately,at this moment there are way more nice Vsti's then Dxi's but this wrapper works like a charm.Make sure to get the standard edition because the lite version only will wrap vst effects not instruments.Fxpansion

Thanks for the advice! I am all over that VST wrapper. I already have the Halion in my possession and have been dying to try it out. Hopefully your replies here will point me in the right direction. I e-mailed calkwalk with similiar questions, and for the 1st time, i was unsatisfied with their response.
In any case thanks again for your replies here!!!!

I picked up the Vsampler full version, the demo came with Sonar, and I think its pretty good. As well you can load in Soundfonts, waves, Akai dumps etc and build your own sounds.

It's not Halion but it's inexpensive and versitile. Their are two synths that come with it; an analog generic and a DX7 synth with LFO controls etc. somewhat like Tassman.

Middleman said:
I picked up the Vsampler full version, the demo came with Sonar, and I think its pretty good. As well you can load in Soundfonts, waves, Akai dumps etc and build your own sounds.

It's not Halion but it's inexpensive and versitile. Their are two synths that come with it; an analog generic and a DX7 synth with LFO controls etc. somewhat like Tassman.

Hey Middleman, I have some questions about Vsampler.....

tcdave

tcdave
I have VSampler also...

What are your Questions?

Although I haven't used it that much yet.

A1MixMan

Hey, sorry I've been in Seattle and away from the home PC. What do you need tcdave? A1MixMan is probably a better source but fire away with your questions.

Vsampler

I noticed you work with Vsampler. I wanted to know how you use it... and, how TO use it ..........Tips.......You know, since you live in Mission Viejo.....I live near OSO Parkway.....Are you close to that street?

tcdave

Primarily I load it up with soundfonts and then access it from within Sonar. I can put my most used soundfonts into the various banks and then have them all accessible at once. Make it quicker to get to a sound I want instead of going through the load process from external soundfonts in Sonar. I also occasionally will use short wave files.

I am near Jeronimo and Alicia so we must be almost neighbors.

Back