DXI Help

Buffalo Bob

You guys have been a big help in the past- hoping you can help me here.

I just replaced my Santa Cruz (which was acting real squirrelly) with an Audigy Plat. EX, mostly for the soundfont capability, and it works fine, EXCEPT when I open a MIDI file in Sonar (2.2XL) and insert a DXI, the resulting sound is horrible! Very distorted. The DXI's worked fine with the Santa Cruz, as well as with a cheapy Live card I have at work.
I insert the DXI, set the MIDI track outputs to the DXI, just as I did before.
What am I doing WRONG??????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks in advance. Happy Thanksgiving!

Bob

Buffalo Bob said:
You guys have been a big help in the past- hoping you can help me here.

I just replaced my Santa Cruz (which was acting real squirrelly) with an Audigy Plat. EX, mostly for the soundfont capability, and it works fine, EXCEPT when I open a MIDI file in Sonar (2.2XL) and insert a DXI, the resulting sound is horrible! Very distorted. The DXI's worked fine with the Santa Cruz, as well as with a cheapy Live card I have at work.
I insert the DXI, set the MIDI track outputs to the DXI, just as I did before.
What am I doing WRONG??????:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks in advance. Happy Thanksgiving!

Bob
The SB Extigy is USB and you may need to increase your latency. Also, maybe you already know this, but Exitgy does not support downloadable soundfonts. You're limited to what's on-board. Use Vsampler3 for that.

I have an Extigy and use it as my Windows sound card mostly for Media Player and for the Sonar MIDI metronome to my mixer. I also like the fact that I can throw it onto my laptop for remote playback of MIDI sequences. For that it's very good... great sound... much better than my on-board sound card.

For use as a primary multi-tracking sound card? ... disappointing.

And Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Thanks for responding Steve-

Actually, this is the Audigy Platinum EX with the breakout box. It's two PCI cards attached to the breakout box. I only bought it for the MIDI synth and the soundfonts, and according to the manual, it supports imported fonts as well. It's not the USB version. My "main" recording card is a M-Audio Delta 44. I haven't even tried to record the DXI yet, because it sounds so bad.
I'm pretty sure it's something with my Options setup, because it worked with the other cards!

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks

Buffalo Bob said:
Thanks for responding Steve-

Actually, this is the Audigy Platinum EX with the breakout box. It's two PCI cards attached to the breakout box. I only bought it for the MIDI synth and the soundfonts, and according to the manual, it supports imported fonts as well. It's not the USB version. My "main" recording card is a M-Audio Delta 44. I haven't even tried to record the DXI yet, because it sounds so bad.
I'm pretty sure it's something with my Options setup, because it worked with the other cards!

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks
Ok... different card... I stand corrected.

I would still try increasing the latency. DXIs are pretty resource intensive.

Thanks for the reply Porter- Yes, they are WDM drivers, and I just ran the Wave Profiler - now I can't get ANY sound at all, either in my MIDI sequencer OR Sonar! This is very frustrating!

Now........where did I put that 4-track?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:D

Eureka! I've got sound! I had the Creative mixer set up wrong. Then I ran the Profiler, and adjusted the latency setting, and it's working! Thanks very much for the help.

Next project - walking and chewing gum at the same time!:D

Buffalo Bob said:
Eureka! I've got sound! I had the Creative mixer set up wrong. Then I ran the Profiler, and adjusted the latency setting, and it's working! Thanks very much for the help.

Next project - walking and chewing gum at the same time!:D
Frustration can be a good thing.

Solving the problems is all part of the process.

Feels great doesn't it? :p

Steve- thanks again. (and for not laughing out loud!)
Where in Jersey are you? I'm from the Southern parts myself. We Jersey Devils stick together.

Bob

Back