DX7 or Juno 106 with Micron??

h2blink

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a Alesis Micron and i love it. but now i am looking for a full size keyboard to compliment it. I'm using an Edirol 49 key midi controller wih Reason right now, but its getting to be a bit to much lugging around for gigs and shows. Im looking to invest in a ful size keyboard to compliment the Micron. I was looking at the Juno 106, but the lack of good piano/rhodes sounds and Velocity/aftertouch has turned me off. Another contendor might be the Yamaha DX7 II. I have NI FM7 and it overwhelms me, id like the have the actually board to mess around with verses the softsynth. Any other suggestions for a synth with good piano/rhodes along with good synth pads and leads?

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks!

A DX7 would be ok as long as it is a DX7 mk2.

The original DX7 came out at the same time as the original MIDI spec (1983). Its keyboard can only transmit a max velocity value of 100 instead of 127.

altitude909 said:
Maybe a Yamaha CS1X or similar rompler.
I second that.

CS1x's can be had for cheap, have a fairly good piano sound, and would be a good team with your Micron.

If you're looking for a piano sound you'll only find that on a sample playback synth ('rompler') and not on the DX7 or the Juno 106.

h2blink said:
I have NI FM7 and it overwhelms me
If FM7 overwhelms you, I can guarrantee that the DX7 will completely do your head in as you don't even have the nice visual feedback of actually working with the matrix, you got a tiny display and membrane buttons. On the other hand, if all you care are factory presets (which is how most people ended up using the DX7 as... mainly for the EP) then you'd be fine I guess.

But yeah, I'd say something more modern probably might be a better choice.

thanks for all the suggestions. i agree with getting something a little more modern. i like the yamaha CS1X that you suggested. the reason i was looking into the dx7 was for the live tweeking and such with the knobs and faders which the CS1X. Any other "rompler" type synths similar to the Yamaha CS1X price wise and live tweeking? Maybe a Roland? Thanks again for your help.

the reason i was looking into the dx7 was for the live tweeking

DX-7 has no live controls. It has membrane buttons and a data fader, no knobs at all. You sure you are talking about a DX-7?

h2blink said:
I was looking at the Juno 106, but the lack of good piano/rhodes sounds and Velocity/aftertouch has turned me off.Any other suggestions for a synth with good piano/rhodes along with good synth pads and leads?
Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks!

I think you should go for K2000… these days it can go less then 150$, and even less the that. In EU, there is even more inconstancy with the prices of K2000 used.

Since it can read any sample format + rather strong in your required fields, plus for the budget… this would be good thing for you. Not to mention, your DX craving could be exercised in very creative way in playing with Vast (FM, subtractive, wavetable, almost ADS) power and experimenting as you learn different types of synthesis with little less archaic adventure then DX7.

K2000 is almost symbolic for the power of your learning and gained experience.

Anthony said:
I think you should go for K2000… these days it can go less then 150$, and even less the that. In EU, there is even more inconstancy with the prices of K2000 used.

Since it can read any sample format + rather strong in your required fields, plus for the budget… this would be good thing for you. Not to mention, your DX craving could be exercised in very creative way in playing with Vast (FM, subtractive, wavetable, almost ADS) power and experimenting as you learn different types of synthesis with little less archaic adventure then DX7.

K2000 is almost symbolic for the power of your learning and gained experience.

A fine keyboard. one of my favs.

Back