Dx4

Brad_C

What do people think of the M-audio DX4. I want to get the BX5 but I don't think I can afford them.

IMO those monitors and the bx5's are worthless. I thought I liked the bx5's when I first got them, then I got real monitors and realized the ones I had were terrible. If you really want monitors then mix on some home speakers and learn how the translate(check mixes in cars and other stereos). Then save up some more money and get better monitors, trust me good monitors can make a world of difference.

With all due respect to Jonny, I totally disagree with his conclusion. From my experience, monitors like the BX5s, Event 5s, and others are absolutely a great fit for many home studios, especially when combined with a small sub. The choice depends on your needs, and while a pro producing commercial recordings will certainly shoot higher, many of us here are perfectly happy with a bit less.

As a pro studio guitarist and home studio hobbyist, I'm producing very acceptable home mixes with such budget monitors. Future Music mag's recent blind shoot-out of monitors, conducted by a group industry pros, came up with the same conclusion, rating the Yamaha 3s (overall winners), BX5s (good accuracy), Event 5s, and Samson 5s very useable budget monitors (depending on your personal tastes and needs). Do some searching for these results and plenty of others, including many posts in this forum, that agree.

Sorry, but I can't comment directly on the DX4s since I've never heard them.

In the end, of course, the choice of monitor is subjective, as are most decisions related to artistic expression.

Happy searching,

J.

I was checking these out a month or two ago ,for a 2nd smaller pair of monitors in my setup. No one seems to have used or had experience with these. I did google and find favorable reviews from a few recording mags/websites but that wasn't enough for me.

IMO those monitors and the bx5's are worthless.

As was your post. If your going to bash something at least give some informed reasons as to why you didn't find the monitors useful. Go mix on a home stereo untill you can afford some real monitors like me......LMAO

m is for monitors

Brad_C said:
What do people think of the M-audio DX4. I want to get the BX5 but I don't think I can afford them.

alot of people swear by the KRK V4"...DX4" ?? same train of thought.
can't you take 'em home and try them?

i found some BX5's used for $185 pair used...hooked up a sub and they were extremly different and had great clarity, it was a big difference.
.thumbs up on the BX5 IMO.
the BX5's were at a local pawn shop..so i just had to testdrive 'em.

if you already have a sub try it.

anything is better than mixing with headphones.

First off the Bx5's tweets were extremely tinny for my taste and I couldn't get my low ends to come out at all. I tried several different switch set ups on the back none of which worked. I tried adjusting the monitor heights several times and stil couldn't get them to translate on another system at all. To me they were extremely bright and fatigued my ears very quickly, they just weren't pleasant to listen to. The reason I recommend translating on a stereo which yeah can be considered pretty stupid but at least for me I got much better mixes out of the shelf system than the bx5's. I wasn't trying to brag about having good monitors I was just saying it may be worthwhile to save up for good monitors. They make it much easier to get good accurate mixes, and I can hear things going on with my recordings that I could never hear on my Bx5's. And to avoid getting yelled at any further I'll even make a couple recommendatoins. I've personally mixed with both krk rp8 and rp5's and loved both of those monitors and I believe they run about 250 and 150 a piece and that is a bit high for you but you can probably find the rp5's on ebay for a good price at the very least wait and check out the Bx5a's the updated versions. Sorry I offended you wireneck and jeffree.

Well, you didn't offend me, Johnny. I just disagree with you. The BX5's are perfectly acceptable entry level monitors. They do need a subwoofer, however. They are designed to work with one.-Richie

No offense taken here either JonnyC. I just find it a little irritating when someone steps in to bash something and then doesn't offer any evidence to back it up. You also didn't bother to list what you had replaced the Bx5's with in your original post so Brad_C has no basis to weigh out what your saying. For Example: The Bx5s might suck pretty hard to you if your mixing on a pair of monitors that cost 5 times what the m-audios do. Or on the other hand you might be mixing on something else that is comparative in price but sound alot better. Anyhow you answered all of this in your 2nd post. Sorry for getting on your case.

No offense here either, Jonny... just a simple case of disagreement. Nothing personal. Thanks for your follow-up thoughts, though.

Take care,

J.

Thanks for accepting my apologies guys. I replaced my bx5's with Event 20/20bas V2's and yeah they are about 5 times the price so thats why its so much easier for me to mix. I also had for a short time some Event asp8's which I loved but didn't wanna pay almost full price for my buddy's year old pair not to mention I already had the 20/20's. I just think if you can hold out for a little bit and save some money even something like the krk's will sound much much better than the bx5's and the dx4's.

Back