DVD-Ram

Brad

As I understand it, you can get DVD-ram discs that will hold about 12.? gigs?

Anybody using this to archive data? Back stuff up?

I ask because I have a DVD-R/DVD-RAM burner that I got to make DVD's that would have the best shot at playing in *most* DVD component players (not DVD-Rom drives). Wondering how I can best use the DVD-Ram capabilities in the future.

I figure this kind of storage space would be good average sized .avi or .mov files - not a feature length movie, of course, but a digital short - or TV show length, 40 minutes of .avi or .mov.

Anybody have any other ideas? What would you do with 12+ gigs of burnable disc?

Brad

12 gigs? I've never seen those... I have a DVD-RAM work. Disks hold 5.2 gigs... 2.6 per side. Pretty nifty for a storage medium.

I wouldn't touch any rewritable DVD media/drive at the moment.

There are too many "standards" - DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM

There is not clear indication as to which one will eventually survive so if you buy into a standard that will fail, you will be pretty much S.O.L...

brzilian said:
I wouldn't touch any rewritable DVD media/drive at the moment.

There are too many "standards" - DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM

There is not clear indication as to which one will eventually survive so if you buy into a standard that will fail, you will be pretty much S.O.L...

I agree with brzilian, word-for-word.

Sorry about that Brad. :(

Seanmorse79 said:
...not to mention, the cost-per-meg for backup/archival is probably way higher than CDR's.

that is true... we use CD-R's more than the DVD-RAM... partly because of the cost of the media, partly because of the cost of a burner...

No need to be sorry. I knew about the standard argument before I bought the thing. But that is for data storage and compatibility. If I am going to archive my own data and retrieve it with my system, I know I am compatible, so no worries there.
I was just looking for ideas. 12 gigs is a good chunk of space, and all I can think of is using it for video at this point, I was just fishing for ideas.

The main reason I got the thing was because it burns DVD-R. That is the best available right now if you want to make DVD's that will play back on *most* component DVD players in your average home.
DVD+R and +RW won't work on about 80% of consumer, component DVD players.

So, my reason for getting this thing has nothing to do with the "standard" debate.

Brad

Brad said:
No need to be sorry. I knew about the standard argument before I bought the thing. But that is for data storage and compatibility. If I am going to archive my own data and retrieve it with my system, I know I am compatible, so no worries there.
I was just looking for ideas. 12 gigs is a good chunk of space, and all I can think of is using it for video at this point, I was just fishing for ideas.

The main reason I got the thing was because it burns DVD-R. That is the best available right now if you want to make DVD's that will play back on *most* component DVD players in your average home.
DVD+R and +RW won't work on about 80% of consumer, component DVD players.

So, my reason for getting this thing has nothing to do with the "standard" debate.

Brad

It will if DVD-RAM does or does not become the standard because the media is physically different. Then you won't be able to buy it.

If you are looking for that amount of archival/backup space, just buy a DLT drive instead (40 or 80Gb)

brzilian said:

It will if DVD-RAM does or does not become the standard because the media is physically different. Then you won't be able to buy it.

Ya know, I have heard that about every blank media there is (or has been) be it audio, video or computer stuff and all of those are still available if you look in the right places. Luckily, in Los Angeles, there are plenty of places that cater to the people using "Impossible to find" stuff.
And let's just say it's true, and DVD-RAM becomes extinct - big deal. That is not the main reason I bought the drive.

brzilian said:
If you are looking for that amount of archival/backup space, just buy a DLT drive instead (40 or 80Gb)

I will reiterate, I am looking for a secondary use here, not a primary. The primary use is for making DVD's that will play back in every Tom, Dick & Harry's DVD player that sits in every Tom, Dick & Harry's entertainment center. That is MY MAIN REASON for buying this burner. And it is already bought and installed.

I'm just looking for some ideas. I can back up all my audio samples. Great! I can store video files of projects I have worked on and they don't have to sit on my hard drive taking up space. And what else? That is what I was trying to ask - forget about the media for a second, and just think "Space" what would you do if you had the option of a 12 gig hard drive (so to speak) for $20?

How's about every Larry, Moe & Curley?

*slaps barometer*

*pokes Voxvender's eyes*

*Kicks TexRoadKill in the jewels*

*slaps own face in rapid succession, making funny noises*

Type II DVD-Ram will be around for some years to come. They hold 9.4Gb. It has the same cartridge form factor as M/O discs.
And has been touted as a replacement for M/O devices. Larger capacities are on the way.

Pretty much works like another HD, rather than a burner, it's slow though(don't know if it's fast enough to display video clips). But great for incremental session backups. I also do system backups to DVD-Ram.(100GB backed up on 4 discs in compressed format)

CD-r may be cheaper, but I can put a full project on one disc, and update just the files that have changed.

On the Mac side you can even run apps from them. (no registry)

The Pro Tools studio that is being used for a project I'm working on has DVD-Ram. I just bring a cartridge with DP3 on it, now I can control their TDM hardware in an enviornment I'm used to.

The only thing left on their hard drive are my preferences, and program authorization.

actually, I was just pricing out some burners and media -

while it's true, the format wars are still going on, I keep hearing good things about dvd-r (rather than dvd+r), that it's compatible with most older set-top dvd players if you want to burn movie discs, etc.

So I priced 'em out - Pioneer A-03 for $248 thru a couple of vendors on Pricewatch.com.

So then I priced media - 100 spindles are available at $70, or $.70 per disc.

So that's 70 cents for 4.7 Gb of backups, versus 15 cents for 650Mb on cd, or $1.05 for the same 4.7Gb across 7 cd-r's....

so I'm thinking I'm going to go for it.

And if a year down the road, the format dies, well, then I'm out $3.20 for each disc.

- housepig

If it's only for backups, the way to go is with a hard disk. The 9.4 gig version of DVD-RAM will not play in any DVD player that any of your friends will have (it's a cartridge). The 4.7 GB version will, as long as the player is newer than maybe 2 years old. But for data backups and portability, right now you really can't beat an 80-120 GB USB 2.0 or Firewire drive. My local computer megastore's got a Western Digital external USB 2.0 120 GB drive right now for $280, and WD is offering an extra 50$ rebate. I'm not much for the math of it, but that's cheap, and fast.

Back