Duron vs. Thunderbird

jdavis

Anyone know anything about how the Duron chip performs, say, in comparison to the Thunderbird? I'm getting a Digi001 system, and am thiking about using an Asus A7V133 Mobo with a Duron chip, but i've not heard much about how well this chip is doing in DAWs. Anyone have any ideas anyhow, anyway? :)

Thanks...ciao...

***Justin***

So...that's good, right?

;)

So, what you're sayyyying here, is that it'd be a good idea to put a Duron on the Asus mobo i'm gonna buy for my Digi001 system...

If it saves money, sign me up! That means more cash toward other stuff....

Oh no! I'm a tech whore!

***Justin***

Yes, I this case Slack means "smokes" in a good sense (I think).

While the Thunderbird is faster, the Duron is very quick and is almost insanely cheap for the power it has. But the Thunderbird is prety cheap too, so decide on your budget first and then buy what you can afford.

jd - the essential difference between the two processors is cache - on-processor memory that allows the cpu to perform certain tasks faster.

Most of the benchmark tests I've seen show that duron is near or close to the thunderbird but the thunderbird is a faster cpu. The question is - "is it worth the hug difference in price" ? I would say probably not.

The other point you may want to consider is that the duron cpu can be overclocked. (Some users have been able to get a 650mhz to run at 950mhz for example) - the thunderbird on the other hand doesn't "like" being overclocked.

The choice is yours . . . .

Back