dumbest question of the day

samrisio

my mind is fried today..do i even need midi to record? i have the new emu soundcard 24/96 0404 and i want to record into a software program..cubase...power tracks..whichever...dont o just hook it up and go analog in and out and record? or do i need the midisport to be usb'd as well?

get off your stool blue bear

i was asking a friendly stupid question...what in the hell does it have to do with talent?

samrisio said:
i was asking a friendly stupid question...what in the hell does it have to do with talent?
Relax, that is a quote from another post, which is completely out of the context of your question. I think it might just be part of notbradsohner's signature. Don't diss the Blue Bear.

To answer your question: You'll only require MIDI if you want to be able to record the performance data. Sure you can record the analog outputs, which is just fine, but it is common to also record the MIDI output as well. Often as a song comes together, it is often realized that the original sounds we may have had in mind for a part just don't fit in the final mix. So if we have the MIDI data we can simply send it back to the synth to record new sounds (Although I personally prefer to record each part live, every once in awhile you get one of those never-to-be-replicated-again performances, so it is good to have it recorded on MIDI to either learn again or resequence additional sounds). Also if you plan on using any form of soft-synth live you'll wan't to use MIDI as well (Although preferably via a dedicated MIDI controller).

Back