dumbest question about condensers ever! read on.......

ok.........i'm looking into getting a condenser for vocals. now here's my question: how do you set up a condenser? i know you can hang them from something overhead, right? i was just thinking that you probably don't just hold them in your hand ya know, like a dynamic. i'm so new at this, its rather humbling..................thanks guys!
justin

Some people in India have been known to be able to make various objects levitate, but I haven't heard of anybody levitating a condenser mic, so you might wanna look into a mic stand :)

I've heard of people hanging them from ceiling hooks if they didn't have the money for a shock mount. I guess that could work but then you'd have problems trying to get it to stay put and you couldn't put it into the exact position you'd like. Seems pretty rinkydink to me.

Same as Windowman, I 've seen them hung with hooks, tape and fishing line to stabilize. But I highly recommend some sort of stand. If it's going to be permanently placed fixture (such as a large diaph. mic used only for vocals in a padded corner or booth, you can make an arm mounted to the wall or ceiling using a boom arm, or even pipe. This way you don't have to worry about the stand falling and hurting you're mic. Protective capsules don't cost that much more. If it's a small diaph. general purpose mic, that you will also use for vocals, they usually have their own built in protective capsule, so about anything will do, as long as you're not standing on it-

Good luck!

electronicdreaming said:
...i was just thinking that you probably don't just hold them in your hand ya know, like a dynamic.
justin
In the studio, no one holds the mic.
Get a nice stand,, and buy a shock mount for that new mic too!

Yes, do get a mic stand and a shock mount...but sometimes people *do* hold mics in the studio. YMMV.

>What are shock mounts for, exactly? Why not just stick it on the mic stand like normal?

Becaues of the weight of a typical mic stand, when placed on a hard surface they will "acoustically couple" with that surface transferring vibration to the mic. Footsteps and other noises could end up on your recording.

But the main reason is: they look really COOL! :D

I've always thought the sole reason to use shockmounts, pop screens and acoustic wedges/foam was to make your setup look hardcore :)

ametth said:
Yes, do get a mic stand and a shock mount...but sometimes people *do* hold mics in the studio. YMMV.
When folks would do THAT in my studio, I'd grab a *spare* Radioshack mic, and have it shoved up their ass!
"Here, hold THIS where the sun doesn't shine"

I haven't had to do this YET, but I can imagine some big female jazz-singers would like it ;)

"Birds flying high,
you know how I feeEEEEEEEEIIYYYYYEEEL!
*Ugh*
Sun in the sky,
you know how I feel"
:D

Back