Dumb trick - Drumagog to trigger kick gate

PhiloBeddoe

I probably didn't invent this idea, but I just thought of it today and found it useful.

I have been trying to figure out a good way to trigger the kick drum gate and this works pretty well if you want to use the real kick drum instead of a sample.

The idea is simply to trigger a kick sample from Drumagog and then use the resulting file advanced 80 samples to trigger a gate. The reason it works so well is that you don't get any false gate triggers like loud snare drum hits.

I guess what it comes down to is that Drumagog's visual triggering is easier to set than any other gates I have.

That is a good idea. Even better is to stick a trigger on the kickdrum and record that along with the mic. You can then take the clicks that you recorded from the trigger, bump them back a hair, and use them as the sidechain on your kick drum gate.
It's just a simplified version of what you're doing, but you have to plan for it in advance.

I've really been wanting to expand my number of inputs so that I can record a full set of triggers on the drums along with the mics and use them for gating and for triggering samples where I need to. It would cut down on all the fuss.

I used to do something like that live many years ago. I had the kit mic'd up and had triggers on it. The triggers were hooked to the key inserts on the gates, so the only time the gates opened was when the drums were hit. No possibility of feedback going out of control.

Back