*Dumb Question Alert!*

Dr. Jimmy

Hi gang, I just picked up a Fostex R8 off of eBay and can't wait to start playing with it. I'm new to the whole recording business, but have been reading this forum for quite awhile (and used a lot of input here to make the desicion to get the R8), picking up quite a few hints and tricks. Here's are my dumb questions:

I'm going to be using a Behringer MX2004 board that I used live for a few years and am rather comfortable with. Once I record some drum tracks, what would be the best way to monitor those while overdubbing other tracks (guitar, bass etc...)? Lets say I've recorded drums on tracks 1-4 and I want to put some guitar on tracks 5-6, I'd come out of the R8 into channels 1-4 (for the drums) and input the guitar on channels 5-6. What outputs from the mixer would go where? I'd obviously like to hear the drums played back as well as the guitar that I'm recording. The board has main outs, alt 3-4 outs as well as tape outs. I'd be monitoring them through a pair of powered monitors.

Sorry if this is really basic, but there's a lot of knowledge here and lots o' brains to be picked!

Thanks very much!
Bill

Hello,
I don't want to discourage you, but the Behringer MX2004 isn't really a sensible board to record with. It is much better suited to the live environment because of the way the outputs and inputs work on the machine. Most recording consoles have tape returns, to monitor from the tape machine, but this board does not.

If you're dead set on using this board for recording, I recommend reading from page 16 to the end of your manual (available here online: http://www.behringerdownload.de/MX2004A/MX2004A_ENG_Rev_H.pdf).

There are many great vintage boards you can use for your Fostex that are much better suited, such as the Tascam M312. Look elsewhere in this forum for other recommendations.

-MD

Dr. Jimmy said:
I'm going to be using a Behringer MX2004 board that I used live for a few years and am rather comfortable with. Once I record some drum tracks, what would be the best way to monitor those while overdubbing other tracks (guitar, bass etc...)? Lets say I've recorded drums on tracks 1-4 and I want to put some guitar on tracks 5-6, I'd come out of the R8 into channels 1-4 (for the drums) and input the guitar on channels 5-6. What outputs from the mixer would go where? I'd obviously like to hear the drums played back as well as the guitar that I'm recording.
Bill

Since the recorder allows you to select whether each channel will output off tape or the input signal, you just need to bring the 8 output channels into the mixer.
The tricky part is that you're intending to use the same mixer to feed input into the recorder. I haven't ever done that, so I can't help much.
I have two mixers: the main desk, which the recorder feeds into, and a small sub-mixer at the 'front', which feeds into the recorder via a 4-way switch (4 stereo pairs).

themaddog said:
Hello,
I don't want to discourage you, but the Behringer MX2004 isn't really a sensible board to record with.

-MD
hah , funny ... i've just finshed going through 2004a manual ... which was pain in the a*s to do of course :D
but ...anyway..I was trying to think of what are options there including "hidden ones" ...and after all I'd have to agree with what MD has said here.
However it is possible to manage 8-track tape recording and then mixing with this board... it is not going to be a 'luxurious ride' ..that's for sure
Before even going into details, I also would recommend to Bill to go through manual first and especially to look through and understand the Block Diagram of the mixer which is in "Additional Information pdf" found on THIS PAGE
BTW I assume 2004 and 2004A are pretty much the same ... what's that "A" stands for? I don't have patience to look for this info...
So bassically you have one main out bus and another so-called alt3-4 option as bus ... so you can manage recording 4 chnls at once using all the mixer's channel's option. Looks like you can use inserts for direct outs too as an alternative option... probably not a good idea.
The monitoring pre-recorded material on some tracks while recording on others looks like may be a real pain the neck here. Use main stereo bus for monitoring and alt3-4 for recording (so you can record up to two tracks overdubbing)... that's what it looks like to me. Maybe you can use those stereo channels for monitoring, while using 8 mono chanels as "recording channels"... so your mono channels will be assigned to alt3-4 (mute/alt3-4 button down)...alt3-4OUT to what ever to be recorded track(s) Input on your recorder, tracks outputs from recorder to stereo channels on your mixer (note: you'll have balance in pairs for tracks being monitored, but no individual pan control), stereo channels on your mixer are assigned to main out ...which you monitor. Does this make sense? :confused:
When mixing down, you'll have to re-set-it-up .... I'd assume using mono channels 1-8 (for 8-tr tape recorder's outs) ... (using sends/returns traditionally for effects and/or inserts for eq/comp. if desired etc..) and using main out as 'master mix' to record to what ever your maser stereo recording divice is.

themaddog said:
Hello,
I don't want to discourage you, but the Behringer MX2004 isn't really a sensible board to record with. It is much better suited to the live environment because of the way the outputs and inputs work on the machine. Most recording consoles have tape returns, to monitor from the tape machine, but this board does not.
-MD

Yeah, unfortunately I'm on a bit of a budget and this board is going to have to suffice for the time being. I did check the manual, and went to their site for more info, lo and behold in their support section someone asked the exact same question!

It appears the way to do it is to send the guitar to be recorded to the "main mix", and the drums to "Alt 3/4". Use the control room/phones output to send signal to the monitors. This way I'll hear all the tracks including the one I'm recording, but only the guitar track will be recorded.

Sounds like it will work....

Thanks for the replies.
Bill

If you need other more outputs, you can always use the effect sends. I don't think there are any inserts on the board, which you could have used as direct outs.

It's possible, you're just going to have to constantly wire and re-wire to both record and then monitor what you just recorded. In this instance, it might be worth it to invest in a patch bay.

When I got my MSR-16 I was at a lack of funds and ended up tracking with one 8 channel live board and then monitoring with another. It can be done, it's just a major pain. Keep your eyes open on eBay to see if you can buy a 12 channel or even 8 channel Tascam or Fostex recording mixer. At minimum, make sure it has tape returns, although direct outs would be handy, too.

-MD

themaddog said:
It's possible, you're just going to have to constantly wire and re-wire to both record and then monitor what you just recorded. In this instance, it might be worth it to invest in a patch bay.

Keep your eyes open on eBay to see if you can buy a 12 channel or even 8 channel Tascam or Fostex recording mixer. At minimum, make sure it has tape returns, although direct outs would be handy, too.

-MD

Actually I already have a patchbay set aside for it, so that'll help a bit! Any recommendations for mixers?

I use the MX2004a to mix the drum kit on (8 mics), then take the outs from the board through a compressor and into my Fostex multi-tracker. It's always worked fine for me, but have never used it the way you are describing. I think it's a good board for drums though.

gachiman said:
I use the MX2004a to mix the drum kit on (8 mics), then take the outs from the board through a compressor and into my Fostex multi-tracker. It's always worked fine for me, but have never used it the way you are describing. I think it's a good board for drums though.

It definitely serves me well as a live board, I'll see if it can make the transition to a much quieter environment. At some point I will probably replace it with a board designed for recording, possibly a Tascam or Fostex but I don't know which models are the ones to shoot for, any suggestions?

Back