*Dumb question alert part 2*

Dr. Jimmy

Hi all, so I recently decided to get back into recording after a few years off and wanted to go the reel to reel route (after using cassette and some digital methods). I got myself a nice lil R8 off of eBay and am rarin' to use it. Here's the dumb question part: can someone explain "tails out" to me? Which tail is meant? The beginning of the tape or the end of the tape? If it's the end of the tape, how would I get it off of the take up reel?

See, I warned you it was a dumb question, go easy on me please! :)

Thanks,
Bill

not dumb...when I started I did it wrong at first.

my understanding is that 'tails out' means that the end of the tape is on the outside and the beginning of the tape is on the inside. so, you load the blank tape onto the right side and rewind it onto the 'takeup' reel.

OK

Tails out would be... say you have a fresh new reel of tape. You would load it onto the take-up side of you recorder, then rewind the tape onto the left side. You then record onto the tape from the "takup reel" on to your new empty reel. The result is when you have recorded on the tape you will end up with the tape nice and and evenly packed on the new reel ready for storage.

That make sense??

My Name said:
OK

Tails out would be... say you have a fresh new reel of tape. You would load it onto the take-up side of you recorder, then rewind the tape onto the left side. You then record onto the tape from the "takup reel" on to your new empty reel. The result is when you have recorded on the tape you will end up with the tape nice and and evenly packed on the new reel ready for storage.

That make sense??

Yup!!! :D

Thanks very much, unfortunately I'm sure there will be a part 3, part 4, part 5 etc..... in my series of dumb questions.

Dr. Jimmy said:
Yup!!! :D

Thanks very much, unfortunately I'm sure there will be a part 3, part 4, part 5 etc..... in my series of dumb questions.

Don't worry, we'll be here when it happens.

-MD

Dr. Jimmy said:
Hi all, so I recently decided to get back into recording after a few years off and wanted to go the reel to reel route (after using cassette and some digital methods). I got myself a nice lil R8 off of eBay and am rarin' to use it. Here's the dumb question part: can someone explain "tails out" to me? Which tail is meant? The beginning of the tape or the end of the tape? If it's the end of the tape, how would I get it off of the take up reel?

See, I warned you it was a dumb question, go easy on me please! :)

Thanks,
Bill

I guess you unscrew the reel and remove the center with the tape and re-assemble backwards.

Or just wind the tape from the supply to the takeup reel. Store tails out to prevent print through. Rewind before use. DON"T wind or rewind at max speed. You will not get an even pack.

MCI2424 said:
I guess you unscrew the reel and remove the center with the tape and re-assemble backwards.

:confused:

Thanks for the reply, but I think I'll go with Falken's and My Name's ideas, just seems quicker and easier.

Dr. Jimmy said:
:confused:

Thanks for the reply, but I think I'll go with Falken's and My Name's ideas, just seems quicker and easier.

Besides which, the R8 takes 7" spools which are invariably plastic and cannot be disassembled. Just wind the tape on the machine. Don't know about the R8, but the E16 apparently has a special 'spool mode' which is about 2x playback speed but lifts the tape above the heads to prevent wear. I wish my machines could.

jpmorris said:
Don't know about the R8, but the E16 apparently has a special 'spool mode' which is about 2x playback speed but lifts the tape above the heads to prevent wear. I wish my machines could.

No mention of this mode in the manual, so I guess the machine doesn't do this.

Back