Dumb Question about Mobo fans/heat sinks

Are you talking about the processor fan? If so, they come with the processor you buy. You have to check the specs of what you buy to see if a fan or a heatsink is included.

H2H

As H2H says, they come with the CPU.

If it's a retail Intel processor you buy then it will come with the heatsink.

If you buy and OEM chip (one that comes in a static bag, no retail packaging, no fan or heatsink) then you ned a heatsink fan. Usually when you buy OEM they give you one suitable for it.

Coolermasters are good fans, Globalwin etc. When you buy the chip get a retail one, they are usually no more $$ and often less, strangly enough. The Intel chips are pretty forgiving when it comes to H/S and Fans. If it were a thunderbird or duron I'd be more specific on fan choices - Burn baby burn. They run hot.

The PIV heatsinks and chips are like something out of Alice In Wonderland. Teeny little chip, size of a guitar pick and a heat sink the size of a pack of cigarettes(a Canadian pack)...

I don't know why everything has to be so damn small. I guess for notebooks but really.

Make the chip the size of a football and the case the size of a small refrigerator, If I could get 50GHz out of it I wouldn't complain.

Anyway.

Emeric, they have to be small because of a limiting factor known as "the speed of light"...well...electricity...close enough. :)

I vote that we stop using roman numerals when talking about pentium processors. I just did a search for "PIV"...I was thinking, "what the hell is a PIV? Proximity Induced Vetorizor? Proton Inverting Ventilator?" Hehe.

Slackmaster 2000

Back