Dumb Octava Question

JesusFreak

Hello All,

I have the Octava MK-319 and it didn't come with any specs or anything. I found a web-site that talked about it a bit and the questions that I have are these:

The mic has two switches on it. I've read that one is a -10db switch and the other is a bass roll off switch.

First, what do these do, and second, when would you use them and in what situations. I've searched thru a lot of threads and didn't find any direct reference to this question so if it has been covered before, I apologize.

Anyway, your help in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

God Bless!

JesusFreak said:
The mic has two switches on it. I've read that one is a -10db switch and the other is a bass roll off switch.

Probably.

First, what do these do, and second, when would you use them and in what situations...

Ten decibel pad: the prime time to use this is when the output from the mic is too hot for the input of the mic pre you're plugging it into. This shouldn't happen unless you're micing something that's REALLY LOUD.

Bass roll off: this is supposed get rid of low frequency bumps and thumps that aren't supposed to be there. If you're recording a singer (who's neither Barry White nor an operatic bass), you can be pretty sure there's not much intentional sound below 100 Hz (or wherever the roll off starts).

Back