Dull sounding snare

MadMax

I recorded a Pearl chrome snare drum this weekend and my first effort had a SM-57 on the top head in the usual position; 45 deg angle about an inch above the rim, maybe an inch inside the rim. When I solo'd the track, it came out sounding terrible, almost like a towel was over the mic.
I moved the mic around and after a few takes, I settled on a 45 deg angle off of the bottom head! This sounded more natural, but it doesn't seem logical.
Any thoughts or similar experiences? I'm thinking that because of the proximity effect of the 57, that it only picked up the top head sound and almost no snare sound at all.
What close micing setups have given any of you a good crack out of the snare?

I hate to say it, but the problem is usually the snare itself. Back the mic off the top head a little if changing the snare isn't an option. Try loosening the snare wires a little or get a snare with more wires. Alternatively mic the side near the vent. Usually it takes me to blend in the overheads to get enough snap.

elementary said:
I hate to say it, but the problem is usually the snare itself. Back the mic off the top head a little if changing the snare isn't an option. Try loosening the snare wires a little or get a snare with more wires. Alternatively mic the side near the vent. Usually it takes me to blend in the overheads to get enough snap.
This is correct sir.

elementary said:

I don't agree that it's the snare itself. It sounds good to my ears. But you are right about blending in the OH's. That's how I got around it at mixtime. Still, my question is; is it possible to get a good snare sound with just a close top mic?

MadMax said:
I don't agree that it's the snare itself. It sounds good to my ears. But you are right about blending in the OH's. That's how I got around it at mixtime. Still, my question is; is it possible to get a good snare sound with just a close top mic?

Yes, it sure is.

What I do to get that Nice Snare "Crack" is to Compress the hell out of the Snare, At least 3:1 but as Much as 6:1.....it works for me and I just use a crappy dynamic at a 45 degree angle about 1 cm above the Snare skin about 2 inches inside the snare.....

Just a Thought....

I had a similar experience with a metal snare...mic the top head and it sounds like there is no bottom head. I have gotten a good sound pointing directly at the side of the drum, between the top and bottom, but for best results, go top and bottom, and mix more bottom than top.

Magpiesdrums002.jpg

This is what I ended up with, but it just doesn't seem right. I wanted to keep the mic count down to 4 for this session and it sounded OK. I was just kind of shocked at how bad the top mic sounded. And it's not like I haven't done this before. Maybe I'm just becoming more critical.

Dang, how do I make the picture show up?

MadMax said:

Usually not. 99.9% of the time, the snare track is meant to be blended in with the overheads, or sometimes with a bottom, side or room mic ... so you have to listen to it in context.

Every situation is different, and sometimes you need to mic the top and bottom of the snare. It's not the end of the world ; you just do what you have to do and move on. :D Every situation is different; every snare is different, so you adjust.

Chessrock, I don't know how seriously I can take your posts with your sigpic tagline. I mean, I kinda feel the same way, but I don't go around advertising it, y'know?

My best advice- if the kit sounds good to you, look at the floor. I had the same problem with a carpeted floor, which was sucking up everything coming off the bottom of the snare. One drum platform built, problem gone.-Richie

MadMax said:
Chessrock, I don't know how seriously I can take your posts with your sigpic tagline. I mean, I kinda feel the same way, but I don't go around advertising it, y'know?

That's just a pic of our good friend, Ed Rei, declaring undying love for his idol, whom he affectionately refers to as "Lesscock." :D But you probably knew that already.

I figured since his sig includes a "special" person professing his admiration for me, then mine should as well.

Back