Dull lifeless drums - HELP!!!!!!!!

Ok, here's my triggering setup...

I use my VS880EX/1680 and send the track(s) I wanna replace to the AUX out. This goes into a pre, maybe a gate and from there into a triggering input of my drum module. It may work better, if you previously clean the track with gates/expanders and maybe key gating in a way that it holds only the single drum information... Considering your tom example, I think I would use my behringer feedback destroyer (which seems to be very useless otherwise...), as you can dial in VERY narrow EQ settings (1/60 oct.) and tune that for the tom fundamental or even 1st or 2nd harmonic... You might get very similar results by simply adding several EQs for the sidechain path. Don't forget: sound won't matter here - it is only a matter of discriminating between tom and snare hits!

After having set up the configuration of my module (it is a Alesis D4, you might use a dm5 or dm-pro, too and I think the Roland V-Drums can do the same trick) in a way that the snare out triggers a snare sound, I can dial in the kind of sound I am looking for. You can setup parameters like a further gate for suppressing the noise and sensitivity and crosstalk suppresion a.s.o. It will surely take some quarter of an hour to set up a channel, but then you'll have a new snare with hit volumes that correspond to the original ones...

I then re-record that new sound onto a new track and blend that in. I don't like the sound of the snare-sim alone too much, as we use a rather high tuned snare that works very nice in rehearsals as it cuts through well. The same method holds for the bass (that might work better with the sim-track alone). You then mix everything as usual.

I don't know how the plain software tools like drumagog work, but I assume they do the same stuff on your 'puter except that they generate a MIDI track onto which you can map your drums sounds afterwards...

aXel

Oh yes, and I'm in slight doubts that your re-tracking the drums will work... If you used a drum machine instead of your drummer, maybe, but I noticed lots of minor time changes with my drummer, which will influence all of your bands microtiming... So your drummer should be VERY tight on the time to be able to get nice results and not loose the 'together feeling of the band...

Back