Dulcimer

Good stuff. Love the dulcimer. Good recording. When I listen to these tunes on this site I just enjoy the fact that they are home made. I don't try try to give any response as to the recording aspects because I don't know enought to say. But when I here something here I like, I just listen. If it's clear, no bigtime distortions, then I like it. And I like this.
dtb

Nice improvement. Great job. I really like it now when the band kicks in, and for some reason, on this listen, prefer it over the solo dulcimer, in which it was opposite on the first version. Tamborine sits much better, and you've got a nice groovy percussion sound going on.
This kind of music would make a great CD in this vein....no kiddin'!!

oh yeah..the ac. gtr is better...borderline still with the same problems, but much better...the mix doesn't seem to "change" because of it, at least.

oops...fade still cuts out..(plus a little shuffling around too)....maybe the mp3/upload/strange beer, could be the culprit?? any ideas??

What a nice listen. Definitly takes you on a pleasant ride. I love the arrangment. Perfect. What are you using for percussion? On a critical note (that might have been adressed in earlier posting but, I missed out) the mini solo around 3:00-3:06 seemed hard pressed for clarity. Maybe I just liked it so I wanted it to stand a tad taller. If I was in a slump or bad mood, this song would surely cure it. This one makes me wanna play.
Again, nice song!!

Theron.

mixmkr, the shuffling was actually why I cut it in the first place, and then i tried to eq it out, but couldn't quite do it without screwing up the tone too much. I think I will just play the progression one more time and tack it on.

everyone:
comments like those are why I play and record, and its good to hear it! The whole reason to perform and record is so other people can enjoy your work, and its good to know people are enjoying it.

BTW, I am working on another dulcimer song. I pulled that thing out after several months of it collecting dust and immediately wrote the first song, and now I got another one. Whew! Sometimes all you need to boost your creative juices is to switch instruments! I'm gonna remember that. When I start run dry on the dulcimer, I'll break out my mandolin!

Nice song!
I haven't heard the first version, but it feels like the mix leans a bit too much to the left - I'd like to hear the guitar/dulcimer more centered, or slightly panned opposite one another. Also, the tamborine is driving me NUTS. :) A good tune and a nice sound though. This is my kind of listening material.

Yeah, I know the tamb annoys some people, but for some reason, I LOVE it. I've never ever used it in a recording before this one and I feel like it complements the dulcimer so well. I will do a mix without it to be sure, but I like it.

Also, for theron, I am using a drumkit in fruityloops I made mixing and matching different samples from various locations. Some I made, others I downloaded (I don't remember where from anymore, its been too long). I experimented with several things to make all of my percussion sound natural, and eventually, I figured out that adding just a touch of reverb on the whole kit helps tremendously. I usually make groups of loops seperate from any given songs, and then make adjustments once I have a song to put them into so it sounds more like a drummer playing to a specific song. I then export the loops to acidized waves, open acid, and create drum tracks. Then I render that and import it into either cakewalk or n-track, depending on my mood, and record the rest.

Yeah!

Nice job!!

I'll ditto on the tambourine, but don't lose it - why not diminish it if you can, to just a whisper. It's just too forward in the mix, that's all.

Listened to your other dulcimer tune as well... Are you doing all the dulcimer stops in the mix or are some done by hand?

Hey - Iowa isn't all that far from Connecticut... Ya doin' anything on August 9-11? We could use you at Vernon...:cool:

Sonny, great song, GREAT recording and mix. Here's something no one brought up, lose the tamborine.:D

An Open Letter To Home Rec...

HI:

I am visiting my good friend Village Idiot.
We are currently listening to this song, and I need to say something to you guys right now.

The Tambourine is not a joke.

Like any instrument, anyone with half a brain can learn how to play anything...But it is those who have a PASSION for their chosen instrument that really bring out the beauty of the instrument.

I am enjoying this song as I write....
Very beautiful playing, well-constructed.
The mix is very even, the percussive bits sound well-placed.

But this song is making me VERY sad.
Because I know that the Tambourine which was so lovingly played by this artist was omitted from the mix, thanks to a bunch of whiny crybabies who said "That Tambourine does not work!"

Let me tell you guys something...
I have played the Tambourine for 36 years, and I have 3 instructional videos on the market on Tambourine Techniques.
And my Tambourine work has been featured on 8 albums, and 7 songs with my Tambourine artistry have cracked the Billboard Top Ten.

I have been called the Hendrix of The Tambourine.
There is a special-edition Tambourine by Hohner on the market with MY Autograph on it. (Limited Edition).
So I have a right to speak on this.

I don't even need to hear the mix with the Tambourine.
Just put it back....Please.

Sincerely,
Davy Jones

Nice.

Missing something, somehow, though. Maybe a little tambourine... whaddaya think?
:p

... but not right out in the front of the mix....:D :rolleyes: :D

I'm certainly willing to be educated... But I think it's a nice piece of work either way!

Is anyone having trouble listening to my stuff on nowhereradio? For some reason, two clips will not play for me (Irene and Hard Rock Thing).:confused:

Back