Dug up old idea: HOW BOUT AN FAQ AROUND HERE?

grahamware

That FAQ Guy
I think slackmaster mentioned it in the cave somewhere (the idea was thrown around before I think) - a Home recording mic FAQ. I don't post a lot here, but I've read almost every thread for the past year and a half, and especially recently the same "CHEAPEST CONDENSER UNDER 2 C-BILLS" thread is getting repeated over...and over...and over.

Flatpicker just wrote a genius comparison of dynamic vs condenser mics recently, and it got me thinkin': what if someone combed the board from the recent past and stuck all important newbie info in a nice, convenient newbie grail?

Now I know many of you will immediately suggest that newbies read Harvey's big thread. I agree, it should be required reading; but for impatient newbies, it's just too long to read when they want to know what budget XLR cable to buy RIGHT NOW. In all seriousness, it does take some work to find what you are looking for in there when you have a problem (it IS 26 pages...).

I can host the thing on my server at home. I'll even take the role of coordinating the effort, and designing a nice HTML page for it. (What the hell, only a month of summer vaca to go...better make it fun). Even if we can't get a mod (dragon or otherwise) to have the FAQ 'stickied' like the Big Thread, I could just bump it every day...

So what do you say? Help me combat relentless newbie thread garbage and let's build the BEST HOME REC MIC FAQ THE INTERNET HAS SEEN! (cheers)

-Graham

ill be up for it!

would be kind of fun because in the long run it would save time instead of having to answer all these people posts. We could just say "read the damn FAQ asshole".

har har

danny

Look at all them responses!

Interest isn't so hot...but that hasn't stopped me. I've already started pulling information off of the forums and putting into a big ol' FAQ.

When there's enough on there to really be helpful to newbies, I'll post a link in a new thread.

Re: Look at all them responses!

grahamware said:
Interest isn't so hot...but that hasn't stopped me. I've already started pulling information off of the forums and putting into a big ol' FAQ.

When there's enough on there to really be helpful to newbies, I'll post a link in a new thread.

I will miss all the "what is the best ____ for under $XXX. Maybe a FAQ about chinese mics and the differences between them.
Also a FAQ about acromyms FWIW.

Definitely. A glossary will be a must, as well as individual entries for the most covered mics on this board (SM57, B1, V67, etc). I'll have something better tomorrow - i've got several questions and answers, but I want it to be more substantial at first glimpse so people might be more into it.

The link should be right here by tomorrow...stay tuned.

-Graham

EDIT: temporary link here:

http://d3750627.u44.baystarhost.net/

In 48 hours or so you will be able to find the FAQ at:

www.hr-faq.org

Last edited:
Back