Dudes... Chek this out.

TheLurker

Alright guys... It only took me 6+ months and 70 songs but I have my first electronic song that I actually think is pretty good... What do you guys think? Thanks for the feedback, and as always, I'll hit up some of your threads!

Very good. The dropped kick works in this song because you come right back in with the full kit. I like the subtle rhythmic things you've got going on in the background, and the way elements are dropping out and coming in. Good creation of space. I'd buy an album like this.

I wouldn't change it. Maybe the kick in the opening is a bit lofi. You do better with pure electronica than dance music.

Really nice chill tune. I used to love listening to this kind of stuff while studying. The kick hits really hard on my headphones, might tame that I think. I would bring down the arpeggiating lead a bit (around 2:20), it has kind of a harsh bite (sounds nice, just makes me turn down the song volume a bit). Just the kick and that arpeggiator stick out for me, everything else sounds great.

I agree with easlern, that kick tapping is rather harsh when listening on headphones. If you can find that frequency and take some of the harshness of of it. Otherwise, nice little tune.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'll have a new version up soon. Although I appreciate the advice on the arp, I'm afraid to touch it haha... The kick does need work though, agreed. Anyways, I'll see what I can do tonight.

Thanks again!

TheLurker

Yeah, the kick gets to my ears through my JBLs, I can imagine it being painful with headphones. There's a couple of little 'clicks' in the rhythm sound that are very low in volume and sound like noise rather than anything intended.

Thanks for the feedback everyone... Kick was revisited... layered two more on it to make it punchier... also I took care of the pop frequency on the original kick.

I automated the threshold on the arp compressor.

I boosted the clicky percussion instrument so that it was more audible instead of just a hard to hear clicky thing.

Thanks again!

Here it is:

EDIT:

This is driving me nuts... for some reason the arp synth now has a weird flutter sound happening on it sometimes... blarg...

I'll try and get an even more updated version on here sooner...

EDIT 2: Meh, it's barely noticeable and I have no clue how to fix it...

Last edited:
That sounds good. Thump coming through, no click everything sitting just fine on my system.

Thanks guys for the feedback! Yeap, that's the final version! Woo! I guess I get to start a new song now :D

Thanks again.

TheLurker

It makes me sad that I listen to something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzxkbGOUiPs

And my song is no where near as dynamic... I mean I really like the vibe of my song... but it's not as thick and meaty as I would like it to be... I'm just still not satisfied with it in terms of polish the more I listen to it... It sounds good by itself... but in comparison to other stuff like it... it's just not as meaty... any advice?

TheLurker

It makes me sad that I listen to something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzxkbGOUiPs

And my song is no where near as dynamic... I mean I really like the vibe of my song... but it's not as thick and meaty as I would like it to be... I'm just still not satisfied with it in terms of polish the more I listen to it... It sounds good by itself... but in comparison to other stuff like it... it's just not as meaty... any advice?

TheLurker

I don't think that is particularly dynamic. It seems rather compressed to me. That low build up sounds warm and thick in the context of that particular song, with those instruments and that arrangement. In another context it might just sound muddy. Don't drive yourself crazy comparing your music to something very different. Just keep composing, recording, and mixing. You'll make good stuff.

Thanks Robus.

TripleM - Yeah man, I think that's the only element that is sticking out for me at this point as well... I don't care for the tone of it much either... maybe I'll revisit it tonight. Thanks for the feedback.

TheLurker

Back