"ducking" reverb - help!

floppsybunny

i read an article that made reference to a "ducking" reverb effect on a vocal, that is designed to give a large amount of slapback effect at the end of each vocal line but not during the rest of the vocal, "ducking" the main vocal line and as it were and getting a nice spring-type echo on the last syllable of the vocal line. i'm trying to figure out how to do it. the article mentioned only that the reverb was tied into a compressor and this acted as a kind of gate on the reverb's dry/wet level.

can anyone give me a recipe for constructing a reverb of this type? can i just use 2 inserts on top of each other? how do i get the reverb to work this way with the compressor? i am a beginner-level mixer, running cubase le with waves diamond bundle plugins.

any info/advice appreciated!

i read an article that made reference to a "ducking" reverb effect on a vocal, that is designed to give a large amount of slapback effect at the end of each vocal line but not during the rest of the vocal, "ducking" the main vocal line and as it were and getting a nice spring-type echo on the last syllable of the vocal line./QUOTE]

here's how to do it:

slap a compressor on the reverb, and use the side-chain function with the key input being the vocals. set a fairly low threshold with a medium ration, fast attack and a medium release. like that, when the vocals are loud, it pulls the 'verb down, but when the vocals cut out all GR is removed..

here's how to do it:

slap a compressor on the reverb, and use the side-chain function with the key input being the vocals. set a fairly low threshold with a medium ration, fast attack and a medium release. like that, when the vocals are loud, it pulls the 'verb down, but when the vocals cut out all GR is removed..
The only difficutly is that Cubase LE doesn't support sidechaining.

Either upgrade to the latest version of Cubase 4, or get a compressor that can handle stereo sidechaining. Voxengo Crunchessor can do this. You'll have to setup a Quad group where you send the vocals to channels 3-4 and have crunchessor key off of that.

You really don't need to sidechain it. Just put a compressor inline after the verb (on the same aux chain), have it quickly grab a few dB on the hotter parts and (relatively) slowly release on the tails. You can also just automate the aux send if this is a "per-phrase" thing.

i am a beginner-level mixer, running cubase le with waves diamond bundle plugins.
A $4800 plugin bundle with a "beginner level" mixer? That sounds awfully unusual...

A $4800 plugin bundle with a "beginner level" mixer? That sounds awfully unusual...
Not unusual at all. I hear that Waves is deciding on the slogan for their new advertising campaign. It's between: "Waves. The most stolen software on the market", "Waves. If it's good enough for theives, it's good enough for you", "Waves. If we sucked, nobody would steal us", and "Waves. Keeping Limewire busy 24/7".

:rolleyes:

G.

Not unusual at all. I hear that Waves is deciding on the slogan for their new advertising campaign. It's between: "Waves. The most stolen software on the market", "Waves. If it's good enough for theives, it's good enough for you", "Waves. If we sucked, nobody would steal us", and "Waves. Keeping Limewire busy 24/7".

:rolleyes:

G.

You guys are so bad!!!! Maybe he has a rich daddy... or rich mommy... or rich sugar momma... ;)

Back