Dual use: PA and Studio Monitor

oneArtist

Which speakers would work best for dual use of studio monitors and small club PA speakers? My two considerations are the Mackie SRM450(a PA speaker) or the HR824(a studio monitor). My daughter needs PA speakers for a Saturday night job she is starting for guitar, vocals and violin. The obvious choice would be the SRM450 since it is designed for PA applications. But, I don't have powered monitors for my studio and the HR824 has rave reviews for this application. Would the HR824's make good PA speakers also? I see NBC's Studio C uses them as PA speakers.
All suggestions appreciated.

Chuck

There are a bunch of issues with what you are proposing to do. First, there's no good compromise that I know of. If you use PA speakers in your studio you won't have good studio speakers, and if you use studio speakers for PA you won't have good PA speakers. This is a situation where I'd almost suggest you buy less expensive speakers for each application, but speakers that are designed for their intended purpose.

I think that studio speakers are going to get trashed in a PA environment. Ever notice how PA speakers have strong metal grills? Well, the Mackie HR824's don't, the speakers are exposed, and I would expect there to be damage to the cones within a very short amount of time after PA style use. Also, the Mackie's are nearfield monitors and I doubt have the punch to work well in a larger open environment where PA speakers shine. Nearfields are intended for close listening in small or medium sized (quiet) studios.

PA speakers on the other hand will be tough enough for the rigors of live gigs, but will not have the kind of even frequency response that you want for studio work. They are not designed to be reference monitors, they are designed to pump a ton of volume out into large spaces.

Two different designs for two different purposes.

If you are going to use studio speakers in a PA environment, I would suggest finding a pair that has metal grills over the speaker cones. I think JBL LSR series might have that feature.

A bad idea. Maybe you can check out these at one of their stores.

It's very difficult for any product to do two different things well.

Meyer makes stuff that is incredible for live, and still pretty nice in the studio. They cost a lot though:(

Thanks for all the advice. I've heard the SRM450 in a PA system and they sounded great. When my daughter got this Sat night job, I did a search and found the SRM's on sale at zzounds for $599. I'd never seen them on sale anywhere. I took the add to Guitar Center and they matched the price and I bought them. Then, I came across some rave reviews on the HR824 studio monitors and I started thinking about the possibility of using them for both applications. What you have all said is very logical. The SRM's are made for transport and PA use and the HR's are not. I have Event 20/20s (passive) and they will work fine for now. When you spend a lot of money, you try to get the right thing. I just finished putting togeather a home theatre system with a Denon 3805 receiver and Magnepan speakers and a special DVD player. $$$
When the Magnepan speakers come, I want to do some experimenting with them as monitors. Magnepan has stuck with the dipole design for over thirty years while many other companies gave up. They have developed a pair of wall mounted speakers that hinge out from a flat wall position to whatever angle you want for $300(they also make $11,000 speakers). People writing reviews find this unbelievable that these speakers cost so little. They only sell this series of speakers direct. I'll update how they work out.

Thanks again,

Chuck

magnepans used to be really easy to fry..........

oneArtist said:
Thanks for all the advice. I've heard the SRM450 in a PA system and they sounded great. When my daughter got this Sat night job, I did a search and found the SRM's on sale at zzounds for $599. I'd never seen them on sale anywhere. I took the add to Guitar Center and they matched the price and I bought them. Then, I came across some rave reviews on the HR824 studio monitors and I started thinking about the possibility of using them for both applications. What you have all said is very logical. The SRM's are made for transport and PA use and the HR's are not. I have Event 20/20s (passive) and they will work fine for now. When you spend a lot of money, you try to get the right thing. I just finished putting togeather a home theatre system with a Denon 3805 receiver and Magnepan speakers and a special DVD player. $$$
When the Magnepan speakers come, I want to do some experimenting with them as monitors. Magnepan has stuck with the dipole design for over thirty years while many other companies gave up. They have developed a pair of wall mounted speakers that hinge out from a flat wall position to whatever angle you want for $300(they also make $11,000 speakers). People writing reviews find this unbelievable that these speakers cost so little. They only sell this series of speakers direct. I'll update how they work out.

Thanks again,

Chuck

I AM supprised they are still around! there have been so many dropouts in the audiophile end of the biz. good luck with them.

Audiophile speakers for home stereo systems are not good studio monitors, just as PA speakers are not good studio monitors. Each is its own specialty.

Since you already have the Events, you are all set for the time being.

oneArtist said:
When the Magnepan speakers come, I want to do some experimenting with them as monitors.

Holy smokes! That's probably the best $300/pair speakers in the world!

Apparently they'll need a sub. What's your plan?

I have a Canton sub I'll use with them. Magnepan also makes a center channel dipole in a curved enclosure about 38"X9" high and 5"deep. I'll set it on top of my entertainment cabinet. It's also $300. Here's a link to the MMGW & MMGC page. Scroll down and read the review regarding these speakers. http://www.magnepan.com/_mmgw_c.php

Chuck

I used to have PA speakers in my studio and gigged with them - TWICE. All the valid sound issues brought up here already aside, the hassle of pulling them out of the studio to load onto the bus just wasn't working for me. I find it much easier to store the PA gear in the garage unused till the next gig. My back thanks me often.

In a pinch once i used my Tannoy active Reveals as Infill for the front rows of an acoustic show. but then, i was only trying to hit people that were about 10' away at the most. AND i high passed them, and compressed them. they worked well, but i'd much rather use something designed for the right application.

Back