Dual Purpose PA

mugsy

Here's my problem: I have a Mackie 808M head (300w per channel) which I run a pair of Yamaha S115-IV speakers. I use this setup in small rooms, and use it for vocals only. When playing bigger rooms 200+ people, it just doesn't have enough balls. Also I'd like to mike the drums and bass in the larger rooms. I wanted to add a couple of subwoofers (500w per side) but I was told that I'd be better off adding two more full range speakers, such as (2) Mackie SRS 1500a's or (2) EAW FR153Z'S with a Crown UT2020 amp. Any suggestions?

In general I would recomend JBL or EV for live sound. You should probably check out a live sound bbs for better feedback on good PA speakers. Just know that good ones sure aren't cheap but I guess that applies to most gear.

It's hard to get good PA speakers for less than a grand each if you want to put drums and bass through them.

Subs will work, but you need a crossover. You need to limit the amount of low frequency power going to your S115-IV's if you want to crank things up more. Some powered subs have a built in crossover. Besides better power handling, it will just sound better.

barefoot

I guess I should have asked my question this way. I would like to add 1000 watts of power to my existing PA setup. Would I be better off adding (2) more full range speakers (15 with a horn) or should I add (2) subwoofers? The reason I ask, is because I was told that if I add (2) subwoofers to existing my setup, that I might have a problem with too much bottom end, even wi th a crossover.

mugsy said:
I was told that if I add (2) subwoofers to existing my setup, that I might have a problem with too much bottom end, even wi th a crossover.
Not if you adjust the levels properly. A crossover will allow you to adjust the relative hi and low levels to get the right balance.

barefoot

Just looked at the specs. The S115IV's have 99dB efficiency. No problem. Buy some nice subs, amp, and something like a Rane AC-22 crossover with steep slopes, cross over round 100Hz and you'll be shaking the house.

barefoot

Back