Dual Purpose Hi End Compressor

Prado Escondido

Hi.

I'm an 'advanced hobbyist.' I'm primarily ITB.

I originally wanted to (and still do) incorporate the ability to do near pro vocal recording and bring it into the box. I record into Cubase 5 with an RME Multiface II.

About 2 years ago I started building my chain. I now have an A-Design Pacifica pre and a few decent mics: SMB7 dynamic and AT4047 and original Studio Project C1. I have plenty of quality VST and DSP processing including the UAD2 platform.

I'm not trying to brag or be obnoxious ... I just want you to understand my setup and the type of purchase decisions I make. :)

OK. I've always heard that your vocal chain in term of priority are pre amp and mic, with AD converters going in there somewhere, depending on how you are looking at it. I didn't think so much about compression because I was thinking of it as an effect ITB.

I'm now learning that uncoloured compression as a way to control the dynamics going in and 'printed,' is really critical since most singers aren't skilled enough to keep proper placement in front of the mike and modulate their dynamics by slight movement away or closer to the mic.

OK. So now I want a high quality compressor, preferably optical, for the advantage in vocal tracking.

But, if I'm going to get one, I'd like one also suitable for 2Buss stereo mix down. May as well be able to take advantage of the 'glue,' no?

Recommendations thoughts please on the best compromise between these 2 tasks: vocal tracking and 2 Buss mixdown.

Things I've looked at/ thought about. Summit TLA-50 (2, I guess!); Drawmer 1968 ME; Neve Portico 5042; and, Buzz Audio SOC 1.1.

Of what I've learned so far, the SOC 1.1 seems like best compromise. However, the soon to be released Buzz Audio Series 20 SOC-20 Compressor looks like an off the charts, 'slam dunk' solution.

I'd give you a link, but there is none yet on the Buzz Audio website. Atlas Audio, their US distributor, has the following blurb:

"Due to popular demand we announce the Series 20 SOC, a Class A version of our well known SOC-1.1 compressor. The SOC-20 includes additional features suggested by our users including a fully balanced XLR side chain insert point, extra ratio and attack settings and a sidechain high pass filter (for less low frequency compression when used on the mix buss). At the flick of a switch, the SOC-20 converts to a MS (Mid Side) compressor allowing you to compress and/or re-balance the sum and difference signals of a stereo mix. The side chain monitor function allows you to hear the MS signals and the side chain insert send can be used as a MS encoder output. Very very cool! The SOC-20 is scheduled for shipping September 2010."

FWIW this will run about 3Gs, obviously a bit more expensive than my other preliminary choices.

Thoughts, consideration and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Prado

I have a pair of Summit TLA-100A compressors. I have them after my mic pre and always record with them.

I've had them 20 years and the only repairs were light bulbs, which Mike, the owner of Summit who answers the phone himself, sent for free.

They always sound good and are deceptive in that they are subtle. You can't do weird hard smashing type of effects. They are over-easy, soft compressors that sound expensive and are two of my most favorite pieces of gear.

There's little attack/release/threshold control on them but in a way I like it. The lack of control is negated by the fact that they always sound good. You don't hardly have to mess with them.

If I was rich I'd buy lots of Summit stuff. It sounds right to my ears.

TY ... More n' Dinty.

FWIW the TLA-100As are very well thought of over at gearslutz, but some of the other Summit gear ... especially the DCL 200 ... not so much.

A pair of TLA-100As is out of my target price point.

Prado

I don't think you're going to find a nice LA2A-ish opto that's going to work well on the 2-buss.

That said - You could do worse than the API 2500 as a very flexible (if not a little "thick" sounding) unit.

Qq

Hmmm ... but isn't the twin Q a channel strip? I've got the pre amp.

Anyway, although it doesn't necessarily mean that much, I thought it interesting that Sweetwater carries only 2 Joe Meek products, the twinQ and the 3Q, both channel strips.

I think when you're a pro, you look at gear like a golfer does clubs. 'What's new this season, hmmm ... Tom, Dick or Harry said that (pick your choice: mic, compressor, eq, reverb, etc., etc.) sounded great on Tubas. So I'll (pick your choice: borrow, rent, buy and return, etc., etc.) and try it out.'

Pros know when used gear is a good deal (right price, good condition, classic value, etc., etc.); how to get price breaks at trade shows; people they trust who also know gear to trade with; how to sell their gear; and, big fat tax write offs. And most of all pros know that different bits of kit do different things and are perfectly willing to buy 4 or 5 hi end compressors depending on 'what it's good for.'

Me? I have to buy nice, 'cause I can't buy twice.

Do I sound jealous? You bet I am ... as long as I'm not considering worrying about paying the bills at the end of the month or anything realistic like that. Oops! Oh, I forgot, all you pros actually are 'trust fund kids.' ;)

Back on topic with the gain on the rantometer turned back down, I know there is no perfect solution, but there is definitely 'too much information' around the internet. Sorting through it can make you crazed.

OK, I don't think I'm looking for a LA-2A-ish type opto with respect to 'color.' I got that in my UAD DSP ... or a pretty good approximation.

Now if it is meant that minus the color, you still need that type of slow response to get good vocal tracking, then maybe I do want/ need something like that.

I was hoping someone here had experience with the Buzz Audio SOC 1.1, because it sounded from reviews and discussion like it might fill the bill for both vocal tracking and 2Buss mixdown. That was why the soon to be released Buzz Audio Series 20 compressor sounded so attractive.

Anyway, if no one here can think of a good compromise for these two tasks, then how about recommended single channel LA-2A knock off and decent stereo mix bus compressor?

A one channel LA-2A pretty much blows my budget. Or maybe I should save for another year or so and pop for the Phoenix Thermionic Culture, the apparent non- 'one trick pony,' reigning 'shootout' champion over at the gslutz.

Prado

Last edited:
.. But, if I'm going to get one, I'd like one also suitable for 2Buss stereo mix down. May as well be able to take advantage of the 'glue,' no?

Recommendations thoughts please on the best compromise between these 2 tasks: vocal tracking and 2 Buss mixdown. ..

Similar situation here, found a used P38 for around $1200. Very nice, flexible. I consider it one of my best investments.
http://www.tfpro.com/index.php/page/P38

^ ... well, I'm glad I'm not alone in the way I've been looking at it. :)

I keep on digging, and even though I keep heading back to the Buzz Audio stuff, I started looking into the CharterOak SCL-1 after reading about it on gslutz.

Do your self a favor and watch a couple of these youtube videos of this site about it.

http://www.soundpure.com/p/charteroak-scl1-stereo-compressor/1760

It is obviously a different kind of beast, but really amazing. I read in SOS that it is somewhat limited for extreme range, but you can sort that out by d-linking the stereo and feed one channel into another for a mono setup. Perfectly fine for vocals.

Prado

I use a Drawmer 1968 for just that purpose. Works well and used ones pop up on GS from time to time for very reasonable money. The API recommendation is pretty good as well.

Back