dual monitors?

peteuk90

How do you physically connect two screens to a pc? Do you need an adapter? Seems like a great way to mix, sorry if it is simple, I simply don't know!

Any links to either buy the gear or explain it?

A dual-head graphics card. Your gonna want atleast a 128MB memory one... or you will find things wont be as quick as needed... There are cheap ones around though.

You don't need to replace your existing video card. Simply go out and buy a second one. Obviously, it will have to be PCI if your primary card is already using the AGP port. Windows takes care of the rest.

My initial dual card set up several years ago consisted of an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 alongside an nVidia Voodoo2 card. Worked flawlessly.

Now I use a dualhead Matrox P650 with 2 DVI/VGA outputs.

Get yourself a dual-head card dude! Go to www.newegg.com they've got quite a few to choose from at affordable prices.

Some are VGA and DVI, others have two VGA connectrs and others too have dual DVI connectors.

I use a Matrox G450 card myself, it has two VGA connectors.

Most of the dual head cards are one VGA and one DVI and come with an adapter to covert either end.

technominds said:
A dual-head graphics card. Your gonna want atleast a 128MB memory one... or you will find things wont be as quick as needed... There are cheap ones around though.

that's not true about memory size. Remember all recording software is 2 dimentional, not 3D

I run a 32Meg Matrox G450 dual head card and I've never once had a problem with it.....

On the other hand, if your computer isn't entirely dedicated to audio and you want to play games and stuff ignore what I just said :D

i use a dual head card. not a matrox (though i believe them to be more suited to music applications). i can't remember the type, so i would have to go and look. the benefits of two-screen real estate should not be under-estimated.

Dual head AGP. Don't worry too much about how much memory it has. You can put in a PCI card instead, but it adds more traffic on the PCI buss, leaving you less bandwidth for your audio.

Dual monitors rock, you'll be very happy you did it.

-RD

Here are a few different types of DUAL HEAD video cards

14-102-185-06.JPG

14-131-420-01.JPG

14-139-144-10.JPG

the ati radeon 9800pro also works. it's one vga and one dvi, but it ships with a dvi to vga adapter so you can run 2 regular monitors with no problems.

If you can't afford another monitor, or you don't have the space for an extra one (My Problem). Then you might try this Free program called Double Desktop. It is here: http://www.fatfreesoft.com/2desk.php

A guy over on cakewalk's forums pointed everyone to it. I've tried it out a little bit, and it seems to work pretty well. Just creates a second desktop that you can drag windows from one desktop off screen to the right, and then hit the button to change, and there it is on the second screen. It's not quite as cool as having both there at the same time, but with one hotkey (which is assignable) you can switch between the two screens. The guy on the cakewalk forum said it was "The poor man's answer to dual monitors" Ha!

Back